Chapter 3

Four hours. It had been four hours and there was nothing. NOTHING!

Lindsey had put the bullet through over fifty tests and searched over three hundred web pages searching for its origins but there was absolute NOTHING!!! Not a clue to where it had come from or what it was!

According to her findings, the bullet simply didn't exist.

Yet here it was. Resting snugly on a glass dish on Lindsey's desk.

Lindsey ran a hand through her black hair, gently massaging her scalp.

This was beyond frustrating.

How could a bullet simply cease to exist? She had searched all the data banks in the corporation and hacked several of the restricted servers but nothing had popped up.

Lindsey heard the door slid open behind her and carefully placed a packet of papers over top of the bullet hiding it from view.

"You're still working? Oh my busy, busy little bee, what are you up to?"

Lindsey closed her eyes.

The last thing she wanted was a talk with Lex Luthor. Some how he always, ALWAYS managed to appear at the most inconvenient of times.

She coughed and turned to face him whilst slipping the bullet into her jacket pocket. The movement was done before she faced Lex but still she prayed he hadn't seen it.

"Good evening, Mr. Luthor," she said stiffly.

"Lex, call me Lex, Lindsey," Lex smiled, his green eyes dark.

"As you wish, Lex," she replied the word foreign on her tongue.

Lex's smile widened showing his glittering opaque teeth.

"Excellent," he said quietly before shaking his head.

"Where, where, where was I? He asked curiously before clasping his hands together, "Ah! That's it!"

He leaned closer to her titling his head to the side.

"What have you found out concerning out dear friend, Zod?" He asked barely keeping the excitement from his voice.

Lindsey swallowed and turned around in her chair, turning on her computer.

"He's certainly not human," Lindsey joked as she typed in her password.

Lex laughed loudly clapping his hands into her small shoulders.

"You are funny!" He smirked in her ear.

His warm breath warmed her skin and she felt a surge of heat flood her face. Just as soon as the blush appeared, it vanished. But Lex's hands still firmly rested on the dark haired woman's shoulders.

Lindsey punched the keys fiercely as she searched for her files on the alien.

"His genetics are far more advanced than ours," she began finally finding and pulling up the documents.

They were filled with pictures,  diagrams, tables and writing. Lots and lots of writing.

"I took the pictures myself," she explained as Lex leaned over her shoulder to peer at the screen.

"The writing is also mine. I wrote my observations on the pictures so wouldn't have to search for my notes," she continued as she pulled up a picture of Zod's hand.

"I learned that their so called "powers" are just enhancements due to their response to our atmosphere."

Lex glanced at her, his green eyes sparklingly.

"Enhancements?" He whispered softly his eyes falling back onto the picture of the pale corpse, "What sort of enhancements?"

Lindsey ran her tongue across her teeth, thinking hard about how to describe it. She barely noticed Lex tighten his grip on her shoulders.

"What enhancements?" Lex snapped.

Lindsey jumped, her eyes wide.

Lex immediately realized he had shouted and closed his eyes tiredly. He swallowed slowly before revealing his green irises which were full of concern.

"I-I-I apologize, Lindsey. My profound apologies-"

"It's fine," Lindsey replied coolly handing Lex a document.

"Here is my complete analysis of the enhancements found in Kryptonians. Now if you do not mind I must be going. I'm rather afraid I left the stove on."

She stood quickly and grabbed her coat, walking towards the door. A pale hand flew out and latched onto her upper arm. With a flick of his wrist, Lindsey was turned around to face the young man.

Red hair curtained around a pale face with bright emerald eyes. A small and intelligent face with thin lips.

That was all Lindsey managed to see before those thin lips were pressed roughly against her own.