Chapter 5

"Forceps please!"

Lindsey glanced around her for the tool Lex was asking for. The table between of them was littered with all different sorts of tools. Needle nose pliers, scalpels, chain nose pliers and more.

Her dark eyes fell onto the forceps.

They were beside him.

RIGHT FREAKING BESIDE HIM.

She snatched them up and with a hand trembling from rage, she placed it into his open palm.

"You're welcome," Lindsey stated coldly.

"Hmm?" Lex asks peering into a microscope to study part of Zod's skin.

"You're welcome," she repeated grabbing up her coffee cup only to find that it was empty. Again.

Lex laughed and looked up at her. Upon seeing her his smile faded. His face became one of worry and he pulled away from his microscope to stare at her.

"Lindsey," he began slowly, "When was the last time you slept?"

Lindsey frowned.

No way was he sending her home.

They were so close to being able to dissecting Zod's brain. She was NOT about to miss that.

"Last night," she lied casually.

Lex eyed her suspiciously. Finally, he broke eye contact and looked down at his hands.

Lindsey followed his gaze and saw to her surprise that his hands were shaking.

"Remind me again," Lex said struggling to keep his voice steady, "What, exactly, did I say about lying?"

Lindsey looked stiffly up at him.

"You hate it," she replied simply.

Lex glared at her.

"And what are you doing?"

She glared back.

"Telling the truth," she replied in a frosty tone.

The pair continued their stare off until finally Lex broke it and went back to his microscope, his hands still shaking.

"I hope, for your sake, that you are, Lindsey," he said quietly.

Lindsey rolled her eyes but still felt a knot of worry grow within her stomach.

*That Night*

Lindsey sighed for the millionth time that night.

It was quarter past one in the morning and she was still at Lex Corp. She was working on finishing her last report of the night. The addition of working with Lex on Zod only added to her workload. It didn't alleviate it at all. However the extra pay was good so she didn't complain. Although it did entail working an extra 5 hours late. But it was more like 7 because she was working so slow. It happens when you don't sleep for eight days straight.

Good thing Lois didn't care about her.

A noise startled Lindsey and she started in surprise. She turned around peering around the dark laboratory. Her eyes were heavy and she had to blink several times before she could focus.

No one was there. She must've imagined it.

'Dang, I really need sleep.'

Yawning, she turned back around in her chair to finish her notes.

Another rustle made her jump and this time she turned around quickly enough to see a flash of black melt into the shadows.

"Who's there?" she called, surprised to hear her voice didn't waver.

No one answered.

Swallowing heavily, she stood shakily to her feet, ignoring the black clouds in the corner of her vision. She had gotten used to them. They showed up on day four.

She stumbled a bit but caught herself by latching onto the glass case holding the Kryptonite.

The Kryptonite.

Her eyes widened as she realized.

If someone was in there to steal anything, it would be the Kryptonite.

And she was right there with it.

She looked back into the shadows and gasped.

A masked man wearing a huge black costume stood watching her. The eye holes in his mask shone silver in the darkness. He raises a hand holding a gun and aimed it directly at her.

She opened her mouth to scream.

The gun made a hissing noise and white smoke filled the air, clogging Lindsey's lungs.

"HEL-ack! HE-uh, unggghhh."

She clawed at her throat, which was choking on the foreign air.

The white cloud began to disappear as her mind began to fog. Gasping, she felt her legs give out. The mysterious man caught her and she fell against his hard suit. Her thoughts blurred together into nonsense.

'What was he made of? A rock?' She wondered, 'Titanium? Diamond?'

She giggled slightly at that.

'A diamond man.'

The little black dots she had noticed four days ago became one solid cloud and everything was gone.