Chapter 6

"Eight days, fifteen hours, forty seven minutes and thirty two seconds."

Blinking heavily, Lindsey felt herself being dragged from the dark embrace of sleep. A blurry grey room surrounded her and was accompanied by a closed window on her left. She focused on the the light streaming through the shades of the window, willing her vision to clear. As it did, she realized her slumped position on a firm but warm mattress.

Lindsey peered around her and felt her heart leap into her throat.

Lex Luthor was sitting beside her bed. Red hair curtained his face, gently brushing against his sharp jawline. His chin cradled in the cup of his hand, slowly tracing his bottom lip with his ring finger.

"W-what?" Lindsey croaked, her voice breaking from lack of use.

"You went without sleep for over a week," Lex said in a barely controlled voice.

"Oh."

Lindsey turned away, gnawing at her bottom lip.

"When I chose you for Project Omega I never imagined-I never dreamt this would occur!" Lex continued sitting back in his chair.

His fingers danced on the arms of the uncomfortable lily patterned chair. A long sigh escaped his lips and he covered his face with his hands.

"This is too much."

Lindsey looked over at her boss in surprise.

"What?" She asked quietly.

"It's too much for you! I am taking you off of this project!" Lex decided.

"No!" Lindsey cried sitting bolt upright on her bed, "Y-you can't!"

Lex peered at her through his vivid green eyes.

"I have every right, Miss Lane. I am your employer. However you must remember your place."

He gazed at her sternly.

"B-but you can't," Lindsey whispered.

Everything she worked on, everything she'd done was for nothing.

"I see I have upset you," Lex said briskly getting to his feet, "And for that I apologize but it is for the best."

"I don't believe you!" Lindsey spat forcing her feet out of the covers of the bed, "You think I will back down after I have gone this far? You're dead wrong!"

Lex made a small noise of indignation as the woman forced herself out of the bed.

"Miss Lane, I must insist that you lay back down. You are not well. The chances of you being able to stand are minimal to none."

Lindsey ignored him and stood waveringly to her feet. The room tilted around her but she stayed standing. Her eyes blazed with silent fury as she glowered at the man standing before her.

"I don't care who you are this is my project and I'll die before I leave it behind me!" she snarled as she felt lightheadedness begin its attack.

"Miss Lane-"

Lex stopped himself as he noticed her body swaying and acted instantly. His arms caught her weak form and gently lifted her up.

The woman's head fell onto his chest and Lex felt his heart begin beating way too fast. Swallowing hard, he slid his arms under her legs and back and gently deposited her onto the uncomfortable hospital mattress.

Ebony hair covered her pale features and he gently brushed the black curls away, revealing a pale petite face with delicate features. Ruby lips completed the perfect face making Lex's hand shake nervously.

Breathing heavily, he pulled out a note from his jacket pocket and gently placed it on her small bedside table. After making sure it was properly propped up so she would see it, Lex looked back down at the sleeping woman.

"You are far too valuable to me," he whispered, "You are my Achilles heel. After all this time why is my heart of stone beginning to warm? I shouldn't care for you the way I do."

His eyes hardened as he turned his back on her, heading for the door.

"Sentiment shall be my downfall."

AN-
Is this story alright? It was fun to write but kind of depressing...

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Pssst...it's also Captain America's bday...