Chapter 20

Hopepaw nibbled at the fish in front of her, but she didn't have much of an appetite. Since the Gathering, much of the clan watched her with unease and distrust. What more did they need of her to prove herself?! She had defied her former leader in front of all three clans!

Well, it was fake and part of Tigerstar's plan, but they didn't know that! As far as they were concerned, she was a poor apprentice that fled her birth clan. She didn't understand why they couldn't accept her. She's been here for almost half a moon and only a few cats have accepted her openly.

From behind her, Shimmerpaw and Turtlepaw exited the apprentice den. Shimmperpaw's pale gray pelt shimmered in the sunlight, the trait she was surely named for. The she-cat saw Hopepaw and padded over. "Have you seen Mosspelt?" Shimmerpaw asked her with inquisitive green eyes.

Hopepaw shook her russet head. "No, I haven't. She may have gone on the dawn patrol, and they'll return any moment now."

Shimmerpaw sat beside her with a sigh. She eyed the sunfish that Hopepaw was supposed to be eating. "Are you going to finish that?"

When Hopepaw shook her head, Shimmerpaw moved in to eat it. Hopepaw watched the younger apprentice with curiosity. She wondered what it was like to grow up without rumors surrounding your birth. Even in TigerClan, cats whispered about who fathered Sandstorm's kits. Hopepaw figured it was a luxury that she would never know.

Movement at the camp entrance caught Hopepaw's attention. It was the dawn patrol. The patrol consisted of Stonefur, Stormpaw, Mosspelt, and Briarnose. Almost immediately, Stormpaw made his way over to Hopepaw and Shimmerpaw.

"Good morning, Stormpaw." Shimmerpaw mewed softly. Stormpaw merely nodded to her before meeting Hopepaw's gaze.

"Have you seen Featherpaw?" Stormpaw asked her with concern.

Hopepaw shook her head, "No, I haven't seen her since last night." She thought a moment longer. Was Featherpaw in trouble? "Is something wrong?"

Stormpaw lowered his head. "I'm not sure, but she wasn't in her nest this morning and I didn't have time to go look for her."

This alarmed Hopepaw. If Stormpaw woke up before dawn for the dawn patrol and Featherpaw wasn't there, still isn't there, then that could be a problem. "Have you told Fath-I mean, Graystripe?"

Stormpaw seemed too stressed to catch her near-mistake. "No, I thought she would be back by now and that it wouldn't be a big deal."

Hopepaw stood up, worried for her half-sister. "She's got to be here somewhere..." Just then, Hopepaw noticed movement by the camp entrance. It was Featherpaw. "There she is."

The dark gray tom stomped over to his sister with his tail lashing angrily. "Where have you been?!" Hopepaw avoided looking at them since it was none of her business. But she still could overhear their conversation.

"I went for a walk this morning." Featherpaw mewed defiantly. "I wasn't aware that I had to tell you everywhere that I'm going!"

"I was worried sick!" Stormpaw growled, "I couldn't find you this morning and when I came back from patrol and you still weren't here, I panicked!"

"Okay, I'm sorry!" Featherpaw growled in return. "I only went for a morning stroll." She slunk away from Stormpaw towards the apprentice den.

When she passed Hopepaw, she got a whiff of Featherpaw's scent. She smelt like wild garlic. How did she end up smelling like that? Cats only smelled like that if they rolled in it, and they only rolled in it if they had something to hide... Where had Featherpaw been, really?

Hopepaw shook her head as if to clear it and stood up. Graystripe was no where in sight so she decided that she might as well go on a walk. She left the camp and walked through the thin forest. Although she didn't have a destination in mind, she found herself heading to the river.

The soothing sound that the river made as it moved along calmed Hopepaw's nerves. She sat on the riverbank and watched the sunlight glisten off the surface of the water. A little downstream, she saw a fish leap. The reeds hid her from anyone that might approach her from behind, but she could see the TigerClan side clearly. She missed home more than she would admit.

Then the breeze picked up and a sharp smell found its way to her. Was that wild garlic? The scent was coming from the TigerClan bank. Hopepaw stood up and looked around her. She was alone.

Hopepaw dived into the water and swam to the opposite bank where she pulled herself up with the use of her claws. Once out of the water she shook some of it off before following the scent. The smell took her deeper into the familiar forest and she felt a small sense of déjà vu.

Finally, she found the source of the smell. There was a patch of wild garlic in a hidden glen. Hopepaw slipped into the clearing and looked around her. There were pawprints here, cat pawprints. She didn't remember TigerClan ever using this hidden bit of forest.

Two scents mingled together and it took Hopepaw a moment to place the scents. Then it dawned on her. One of the scents belonged to Featherpaw. What was she doing here on TigerClan territory? The other scent belonged to a cat very dear to her: her brother, Owlpaw.

Where they meeting each other here? More importantly, why? A sickening feeling came over Hopepaw. They didn't know the truth. It wasn't bad enough that they were from separate clans. They also shared a father. Hopepaw felt sick. She could only hope that wasn't the case, but why else would they meet here in secret?!

Hopepaw left the glen and started to make her way back to the river when she heard something behind her. Suddenly, something, or someone, crashed into her from behind. Her attacker tried to pin her down, but she slipped from their grasp. Hopepaw managed to pin down her attacker and meet them face to face. Owlpaw?!

"Hopepaw?" Owlpaw gasped.

"Owlpaw!" Hopepaw immediately let him up. She was ecstatic to see him and momentarily forgot her recent discovery. She touched her nose to her brother's with a purr.

"What are you doing here?" Owlpaw asked her, "You could get into trouble if you're caught." His light brown tabby pelt looked darker in the shadows, but his green eyes still shone bright as ever.

"I-I was looking for something," She lied. "I was following a trail." Hopepaw purred towards her brother, "I've missed you so much! How's Maplepaw? Sandstorm?"

"They're both well," Owlpaw replied happily. "Maplepaw's getting stronger everyday and Cinderpelt says she's learning fast."

"That's excellent news!" Hopepaw purred. She felt a small amount of peace knowing that her weakly sister was doing alright.

Owlpaw's gaze softened. "We miss you, Hopepaw. When are you coming home?"

"When Tigerstar doesn't need me here anymore," Hopepaw answered. She touched her cheek to his. "I'd better go." She turned to leave but paused. Hopepaw looked back over her shoulder at her brother. "Owlpaw, what do you know of a RiverClan apprentice named Featherpaw?"

A look of surprise came over Owlpaw's face, but it was gone in an instant. "Nothing, why?"

Hopepaw stared at him for a moment. He was lying. "No reason," Hopepaw mewed. Then she turned and dived into the river. She swam back to RiverClan territory and headed back to camp.