30- Omigosh bestie

I was thinking- which doesn't usually happen very often, while I was scrolling through my Instagram feed, and came across one of those dreaded friendship posts. You know the kind, the cheesy iMovie style videos with overplayed music in the background to show the world how strong their friendships are.

Personally, I've almost vacuumed out all signs of an actual human running the account on my page, leaving two pictures of myself, a video I took while bowling and a couple others miscellaneous travel photos. The pictures of drawings seem to get much more attention and traffic (likes, comments, etc.)

When I posted pictures of myself, they certainly received none of the same reactions as the, erm- more....popular pages on Instagram. Let's just say the particularly fabulous picture of me regurgitating Taco Bell didn't receive the usually comments of "aw! Cutie" or maybe a "so hot" or a courteous " 😍". You know you're the shit when you get the heart-eyed emoji on a picture, even if that person secretly hates you.

But my sorrows are besides the point of this chapter, so let's get back to the main reason I'm writing this chapter. The question I wanted to cove was; why do friends become friends?

I know, that for some people, it might be the whole, "Hey! I know you! I don't hate you as much as the rest of the human race, so let's become friends!" Or maybe they bond over an activity, like soccer, or the local twerk team, or whatever else kids do these days when they aren't in the basement.

I'm not sure how it works for me, I've always tried to make friends whenever possible, unless I get rejected (remember life skills? 😁) or that person is a seriously messed up fucker. Or maybe, they just became too popular to hang out with me, or have suddenly made better friends to hang out with. (Man I've gotten so good at throwing shade these days).

I've always had such high standards for friendship due to all of the TV, YouTube, and books that make up such a huge part of my life.

Speaking of which, I've noticed some patterns in the fictional friendships I encountered in these universes. Pairs of lifelong best friends seem too clichéd at this point, so trios and quartets have gained some popularity. Such as, the legendary Golden Trio from Harry Potter- and I've always craved the kind of chemistry Harry, Ron, and Hermione have shared throughout the series. And I'm sure some of you could share that they all had many other friends like Luna Lovegood, or Neville, Hagrid, or the other Weasly family members, but they were a core group, and seemed a bit unattainable, like they were somehow above the other characters.

Or even Boy Meets World, for example- Shawn, Corey, and Topanga, who are an average group of typical white sitcom characters: but their friendship was one of the main reasons the show became so popular. But friendships in actual middle school are very volatile and petty, I don't expect to reach their levels anyway, even though both of the friendships I introduced as examples were started around my current age.

Harry Potter met Ron and Hermione on the Hogwart's Express, when he was eleven, and had absolutely no, for a lack of a better term- friendship experience. If that makes sense, since he was bullied by the Dursleys up to that point. Harry didn't decide to hang out with his Quidditch friends instead or let fame get to his head. Their friendship lasted for the rest of their lives. Who even has luck like that?

So many different friendships- Katniss and Gale, for example, was never a real friendship in my eyes. They became close to each other out of pure need for survival. And I can't see why others would think they would have made suitable romantic partners for one another, there's too much anger from both sides. It's the kind of pairing that would fester and eventually become a very unhealthy relationship.

Her alliance with Rue in arena was cute while it lasted, and I don't consider her relations with the other tributes in Catching Fire valid because they were all in their own worlds.

Hey, finally a book I can relate to! 👏🏽 Books aren't all completely bullshit in terms of realistic situations. Not many people turn out like that. I've answered my question! The universe is an illusion and friendship doesn't exist! Except in Taylor Swift's squad of course. It all makes sense?

Tell me what you guys think in the comments.
Brown Girl out!