Chapter 21

It's been a quarter moon and so tonight Hopepaw would go meet her contact. The sun was slowly beginning to set behind the trees and the clan readied itself for sleep. Hopepaw laid in her nest while she waited for her denmates to fall asleep. Shimmerpaw and her littermates were fast asleep, but Hopepaw wasn't sure about Stormpaw and Featherpaw.

She glanced over her shoulder and saw that they were indeed asleep. It was dark outside the den now, a perfect cover for her trip. Hopepaw slipped out of the den and headed for the dirtplace. It looked as if Heavystep was on night watch.

The dirtplace smelled, but Hopepaw ignored the smell and crawled underneath the bramble wall. Once she was outside the camp walls, she started to run. An owl hooted in the distance and there was a gentle breeze. Crickets chirped and small animals dashed around in the grass.

Hopepaw headed for the river and her heart filled with relief when saw the river come into view. It looked silver underneath the moon's glow and more calm, but Hopepaw knew better. She slipped into the water and let it help carry her across. Her swimming abilities were much better now and the swim was easy enough.

She reached the other side and shook water droplets from her thick pelt. Then she headed deeper into the forest to where she would meet a TigerClan cat. The forest felt so familiar even after a quarter moon and she didn't realize how much she missed it. Hopepaw neared the tree which served as the meeting spot. That's when she noticed a shadow sitting beneath the tree.

"Hello?" Hopepaw whispered. She stepped closer to see who it was. The shadow moved towards her and stepped into the moonlight. She recognized the dark tabby tom in an instant. "Bramblepaw!" Hopepaw exclaimed. She greeted him by touching her nose to his.

Bramblepaw purred at her greeting. "Hopefully I won't be Bramblepaw too much longer."

"Tigerstar is going to make you a warrior? Already?" Hopepaw's jaw dropped. He had been made an apprentice only a moon before her!

Bramblepaw shrugged, "He mentioned it would be soon." He touched his nose to her forehead. "I'm supposed to bring you to the TigerClan camp." Bramblepaw motioned for her to follow, so she did.

They traveled quickly through the forest, weaving in between trees. Hopepaw's paws instinctively found the trails that used to be so familiar to her. She kept up with Bramblepaw without an issue, and soon the camp came into sight.

"Most everyone is sleeping except for Tigerstar, Darkstripe, Whitestorm, and Blackfoot. They'll be the ones that will speak with you." Bramblepaw explained. He led her towards Tigerstar's den.

"Come in," Tigerstar's voice demanded from inside the den.

Hopepaw stepped through the lichen with Bramblepaw by her side. She suddenly felt intimidated by the four large warriors before her. They were her clanmates, but she realized in that moment that she'd gotten comfortable among the RiverClan cats. She even smelled like one!

"It's been so long, Hopepaw." Tigerstar purred but it sounded more menacing than friendly. "What can you tell me about RiverClan?"

"Like where's their camp, how do they fight, good battle advantages?" Darkstripe added impatiently.

Tigerstar lashed his tail angrily. "We've been sitting here for a quarter moon and we need more territory to feed the clan. Once we have RiverClan, WindClan won't be difficult to defeat at all."

Hopepaw opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. She considered the consequences of telling Tigerstar everything she knew. It would result in the defeat of RiverClan. Tigerstar would certainly kill Graystripe, her father, along with Stormpaw and Featherpaw. But if she lied...that would result in death for everyone she held dear.

"The RiverClan camp lies inland between the gorge and the Stepping Stones. It's surrounded by a shallow stream that any cat can cross. The warriors den is closest to the camp entrance and Crookedstar's den is the furthest." Hopepaw cringed as the truth spilled out.

"Excellent, and you know the way that they fight?" Tigerstar's amber eyes blazed. She nodded. "Good, I want you to come to camp every three nights to teach our warriors how they fight."

Hopepaw dipped her head in respect. "Yes, Tigerstar." She gave Bramblepaw a look and he nodded.

"Oh, and one more thing, Hopepaw," Tigerstar meowed. "When we take over RiverClan, you'll be named a warrior. Don't let me down."

Hopepaw sat straighter and her eyes gleamed. "I won't." A small thrill of excitement rushed through her veins.

Tigerstar nodded, "Very good. Now, return to RiverClan before they notice that you are gone."

Hopepaw stood up, bowed her head, and exited the den. Bramblepaw followed her outside and he smiled at her. "You're doing TigerClan proud. Come on, I'll walk you to the border."

Bramblepaw took off out of camp and Hopepaw raced after him. They ran side by side through the shadows, racing the wind. Hopepaw's heart raced in her chest and she's never felt more alive. It was as if nothing could catch them or hold them back.

After a good run, Hopepaw saw the river appear through the trees. She stopped and Bramblepaw paused beside her. Her green eyes turned to Bramblepaw and she sighed. "Can we meet up some other time?"

Bramblepaw purred, "I would love to." He thought for a moment. "Let's meet at the Stepping Stones in two nights."

Hopepaw smiled and licked his chin. "I'll be there," She purred before walking towards the river. Bramblepaw turned and disappeared back into the shadows.

Hopepaw was about to jump into the river when a familiar scent caught her attention. Owlpaw? She followed her brother's scent and felt a sickening feeling as she approached the glen. The thicket became thicker and Hopepaw paused. She peered from behind the bramble and into the thicket.

Owlpaw sat at the center of the clearing, the moonlight illuminating his pale brown tabby pelt. Was he meeting Featherpaw here? Her question was answered when the brush rustled. Featherpaw poked her silver tabby head from the undergrowth and stepped into the clearing. They greeted each other as if they were familiar.

Hopepaw watched as her half-sister and brother twined tails and touched noses. Featherpaw rubbed the length of her body against Owlpaw's chest and purred. Hopepaw couldn't watch anymore. She stepped from her hiding spot, clearly startling the two.

"Hopepaw?!" Featherpaw and Owlpaw both gasped. Then they exchanged a glance.

"Did you follow me here?" Featherpaw wondered, slightly angry.

Owlpaw frowned, "Why would you spy on us, Hopepaw?"

"I was on a night walk and I found your scent, Featherpaw." Hopepaw lied, "So I followed your trail here. Is this where you've been sneaking off, to meet him?"

"Excuse me, Hopepaw?" Owlpaw sputtered. He sounded angry, very angry. "You still shouldn't have spied on us!"

"You're lucky that I did before this went too far!" Hopepaw snapped at her brother. "Do you two have any idea how much trouble this could get you into?!"

"You're familiar?" Featherpaw asked both Hopepaw and Owlpaw. She sounded jealous as if she thought they might have been lovers.

Hopepaw laughed out loud. "He's my brother, Featherpaw." She narrowed her eyes. "We are going back to RiverClan, now."

"Don't tell me what to do!" Featherpaw argued.

Owlpaw touched his nose to Featherpaw's cheek. "Listen to her, it's fine. I'll see you again." Then he shot Hopepaw a glare before disappearing into the forest.

Featherpaw glared at Hopepaw but then it turned into a worried look. "You won't tell anyone, will you?"

Hopepaw thought a moment and weighed her options. "I won't tell, as long as you promise not to meet with him again."

Featherpaw narrowed her eyes. "But I love him."

Hopepaw nearly choked. "No, you don't. Love for a cat who lives in another clan is just an illusion. It can never amount to anything and is driven by desire. Nothing more."

The two she-cats were silent for a while until Featherpaw finally spoke again. "Let's get back to camp." Then the two swam across the river in silence and returned to their nests before the sun could rise.