Chapter Fourteen

~North~

I barely noticed when the rain started, but I did notice when the rain fucked up any chance of tracking that I had.

Now I had to rely on crumbled foliage or distrusted trees or whatever the he'll else.

I had been walking for a good hour and I was thirsty but I was saving my water for Sang Baby.

Today had really freaked me out, Gabriel had snapped and it had been really bad. Somewhere in him adrenaline popped out that I had only seen when his father was still around.

It had taken both me and Silas to hold the little shit down.

The only good thing that came out of Blackbourne's orders of sleep and food is I felt refreshed and energized. Shocker.

Every once in a while I heard the sound of a far off motor, Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green searching for Sang.

With the rain and the thunder I felt nauseous, Sang was probably cold and wet. I was half tempted to tell Victor to buy her an electric blanket but he was watching over Gabriel and if Sang showed up at home, he was on look out.

Lighting cracked across the sky, illuminating the ground for a split second. But that was long enough for me to see the flash of silver. I bent down to inspect it and when I realized it don't belong with its surroundings I picked it up. A knife, covered in dirt and blood. Volto's blood most likely.

This was good, we had his DNA, but it was also bad if this wasn't his blood, and this was the murder weapon.

I rubbed my palm against my jaw and up to my forehead, I wanted to work on some cars, not find my Sang Baby's murder weapon.

North: Dr. Green, I found something you should take a look at.

Dr Green: Okay. Alert me to your location and I'll be right over.. it's not Sang is it?

That question sent a shiver down my spine and I clenched my first and locked my jaw.

North: no it's not.

I sent him my location and soon enough the sound of a quad approaching appeared.

Dr Green hopped off the quad and walked over.

"What do you have there?" He asked slowly, his steps faltering when he got close.

"A knife, I offered it to him, I was holding it by its semi clean part of the blade, offering it to him.

He sighed heavily and took it, putting it in a baggie, "this would explain why he was wounded and the entire window was still there. This just means Sang is out here somewhere."

Rain droplets dropped down his jaw and onto his already thoroughly soaked shirt.

"I know she probably doesn't know how to fish, what do you suppose she's eating, drinking?"

He frowned, "well I would hope someone thought her the difference between the berries, they're growing all over these woods."

I tensed, praying silently she hadn't eaten any poison berries. What would I do if the girl I loved, the girl who had already been through so much, was poisoned?

Dr. Green continued, "and that mix with the sleep powder she had been given, if the berries were poisonous, could have a violent reaction."

"How long does it take for that sleep shit to clear out of her system?"

His eyebrows furrowed and he shook out his hair, "I'd say a few days after consumption, maybe a week. It also depends on how large of doses he was giving her. A triple dose could easily put a woman her size out for about a week."

"Fuck, what if she caught on to what he was doing and that's how she got out?"

He shrugged and it looked like it pained him to do so, "it still depends on previous doses, how frequent she got them and how long she's been off them."

"Thanks Dr. Green," I said while clenching my fists, I knew this wasn't his fault but this all still sucked, "go ahead and report back to Mr. Blackbourne, I'll text everyone."

He nodded and swung his leg back over the quad, turned it on and gunned the engine, kicking up some mud as he went.

I remembered Sang's reaction when she first rode my bike and I wondered if she would want to ride quads... me and Luke had a dirt track on the property right now so it wouldn't be hard to take her out...

I fished out my phone and sent a text to everyone.

North: Found a knife in the woods, it has blood all over it and it was partially buried.

Nobody replied, because well, what do you say to something like that. Nobody wanted to voice that it might be Sang Baby's.

Victor: Found out three names but there was one false one. And the false one went in for stitches on "knife wound" and was gone before the Dr.'s could do much else than stitch him up.

That message sent relief spiking through my entire body.

I continued to search and on more than one occasion I had to pause to shake out my hair. I didn't find much else and Mr. Blackbourne ordered everyone to go to Sang's house and we'd have another meeting.

We had searched all day and by now it was nearly 10 o clock at night. We had to bring out the flashlights around 8:30 ish. Blackbourne wanted us to all eat dinner and had ordered us to each sleep in an actual bed. So naturally we all decided to utilize the available beds to their max.

I got to Sang's house to find every one dripping wet, We all had brought our own bags full of spare clothes. Everyone had determined expressions. We would go out tomorrow and the next day until Sang was found.

Nathan, Dr. Green, and Mr. Blackbourne had mud all over them, at once we began pulling off our soggy clothes, except for Mr. Blackbourne.

"Ill be headed home tonight."

We all looked at Dr. Green and he shrugged, "I'm staying here."