Conversion Academy {4}

It was getting dark by the time the door opened again, and in came Leo and the others. Leo looked annoyed as he swatted at Beckett.

Beckett ducked under his hand and slipped into our room. "Too slow."

"I'm being nice. Maybe I'll take you seriously when you hit puberty," Leo said.

"You guys are so annoying." Mikayla glanced over her shoulder. "Kaz? Where are you going?"

"To educate myself since the morons here can't be counted on to do it." Kaz's voice drifted from down the hallway.

"Fair enough," Mikayla said.

"Finish it before I go to bed. I hate when you leave your light on!" Pete called.

"Take an extra pill and you'll never even notice." A door shut, and the others entered our room, their conversation with Kaz over.

"You room with Kaz?" I asked Pete.

Pete glanced over as if he'd forgotten that I lived here too. He nodded at me as he glanced around at my side of the room.

"Yes I do. The perks are that he doesn't snore," Pete said.

"The downside is everything else," Leo said, stepping onto the fridge so he could haul himself onto his bed. "Petey, grab me a root beer."

Mikayla settled herself in the chair at Leo's desk. Beckett sat cross legged on the carpet, leaning forward to let his arms rest over his knees. Pete watched them, trying to find himself a spot to sit before heading to the fridge and kneeling down.

He pulled open the fridge door and frowned. "What am I getting?"

"Root beer, you big oaf," Leo said, lightly kicking at his head. "You should get a memory pad tattooed on your arm."

Pete snapped and nodded. "Right, right, root beer," he said, ignoring Leo's other comment. He grabbed a root beer and passed it up to Leo before grabbing one for himself and settling with his back against the fridge.

"Still not going to tell us what got you here?" Leo asked me with little interest.

I shook my head. "No. It's not like you shared either."

Leo shrugged. "I've got nothing to hide. A few cases of breaking and entering, some trouble in school with an abundance of detentions and suspensions, a couple fights, some minor alcohol related incidences...I don't have a big incident that landed me here. Just little things that piled up until my folks couldn't take it anymore."

Beckett dug in his pocket and pulled out a yo-yo. I watched as he lazily did tricks with it, barely even paying attention as he took in the sight of the now fully occupied dorm room.

"The ones who don't like to tell why they're here are usually the ones with the dumbest reasons to be here," he said, letting the yo-yo twirl against the ground before snapping it up into his palm.

"And you?" I asked.

He glanced up at me lazily. "Figure it out yourself. Make friends, learn to gossip."

Pete laughed. "You're such an ass, Beck."

"I don't like stupid people," Beckett said, shrugging.