Conversion Academy {15}

The sun was starting to go down by the time the door to my room opened. Mikayla and I looked up anxiously as Leo came in.

He looked at us and his face was exhausted, hands trembling. Mikayla jumped up and led him over to a chair, forcing him to sit.

"What happened, Leo?" she demanded.

"Constance doesn't fuck around," he said quietly. "Shit, he doesn't fuck around."

Mikayla hugged him and he hugged her back, trying to get himself under control. When he pulled away from her, he looked down at his hands.

"He's good at emotional torture, I'll give him that," Leo said bitterly. "He also said the Blues would be keeping a close eye on us. Says if I keep breaking locks, my hands might just snap along with them."

"They won't touch your hands," Mikayla said fiercely. "They won't hurt you. Any of you."

"Pete got out of it alright, I think. Took his pills as soon as we left and was so high I doubt anything could get to him," Leo said.

"And Kaz?" Mikayla asked, grimacing.

Leo shook his head. "I don't know. He said he was pissed we missed lunch and was going to go grab a bite to eat. I can only imagine what Constance put him through. I think it's best if we just give him his space."

"Let's go check on Pete," Mikayla said, and Leo got to his feet. They looked at me but I just shook my head. They left the room and I waited a minute before also slipping out of the door.

I left the building and followed the path Kaz and I usually ended up on when we walked. I couldn't help it; I was worried about him.

He could've let me get in trouble too, but instead, he protected me. He protect me, Mikayla, and Beckett.

I walked for a while, keeping an eye out for any sign of Kaz. I didn't know anything about the Headmaster of this Academy, but if he knowingly let the abuse here take place, then he couldn't be good news. He'd shaken up Leo quite a bit despite the fact that Leo seemed physically uninjured, so he must have taken a different abusive approach than the teachers. Kaz might be able to shake off physical blows, but I didn't know how well he'd fare against constant emotional attacks.

Finally, I spotted him, and only by luck. He was sitting against a tree, mostly hidden by a bush. But he'd been running a hand through his hair, and I caught the movement of his arm.

"Kaz," I said, going around the bush.

Kaz looked up at me and pulled himself together. "O'Malley. Did you need something?"

I sat down next to Kaz. "What did he do to you?"

"Oh, are we friends now?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "I thought you hated me."

"Kaz," I said, reaching out and placing my hand on his arm. His hands were trembling and he was trying to hide it. I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been looking for it thanks to Leo. "Tell me."

He looked down at his hands as if it fascinated him that he'd been caught in weakness. "Headmaster Constance rarely takes a physical approach to things. He gathers all the information he possibly can on seriously problematic students, and uses that to destroy their spirits. He's been building a file on me for a while."