Conversion Academy {9}

I sat alone in the room, writing down the last answer to my homework. Kaz and I had gone back to class earlier and hadn't spoken since then.

The bedroom door opened and Leo came in, skateboard tucked securely under his arm. Mikayla trailed in behind him.

Leo abandoned his skateboard on the floor and dug around his fridge for a water bottle. I set my homework in my backpack and wondered if anything was going to change now that I was part of Kaz's messed up crew.

Leo and Mikayla headed towards the door. Leo paused when he noticed I was still sitting, facing me in confusion.

"Come on," he said.

"Where?" I asked.

"Kaz's room," he said, as if it was obvious.

I pushed myself to my feet, recalling the humiliation from earlier today. It was best if I just followed them for now.

The three of us went down the hallway to Kaz's room. Leo gave two knocks before pushing the door open and leading us in.

Kaz and Beckett were on Kaz's bed together. Pete was lying on the floor with his head cushioned by a stack of notebooks. Beckett was playing with his yo-yo, but he nearly missed catching it when he noticed me following the others into the room.

"Kaz," he said, voice low and angry.

"Beckett, I will strange you to death," Kaz promised, reaching out and tapping his finger against Beckett's yo-yo.

Pete picked his head up to look at us and grinned. "Killian! Nice of you to join us here. I'd heard a little rumor you were running with us now."

"Yea, well, some people turn to cannibalism for survival and I turn to criminals," I grumbled.

"I'm not a criminal," Pete said defensively.

"Pete, buddy, you snapped a kid's arm for poking you too much," Leo said.

"Did I?" Pete furrowed his brow. "I don't remember that."

"You not remembering something? Big shocker." Leo sat on top of Pete's desk, legs folded beneath him and arms resting on his knees. "Anything new, Kaz?"

"Sternberg wanted vices, so we're going to give him vices," Kaz said simply.

"I love vices," Leo said, perking up.

"Good. Then you'll love our next mission," Kaz said. "We need Siggy."

"Will Siggy cooperate?" Mikayla asked.

"He better. But only if he wants to know where to meet Rogan tonight," Kaz said, shrugging.

"You brilliant bastard. That's why you were pissing him off in class today," Leo said appreciatively.

"Slipped the location to him in the middle of it," Kaz said. "Won't mean anything if Siggy doesn't know where to go, though."

"You help them meet up?" I said.

"He's so damn slow I want to hit him," Beckett grumbled.

"Hit puberty before you hit me," I said.