Conversion Academy {17}

Kaz's lips moved against mine and all I could think of was Kaz telling me to sink or swim. I was not just sinking right now; I was positively drowning.

My hand tangled into Kaz's stupid hair, brushing against the shaved part of his head. I could feel his hair gel, making it difficult to slide my fingers through his hair. Of course absolutely everything about Kaz had to be difficult, right down to his damn hair.

His hands moved down to my arms and he drew me closer to his body. Everything about him had to be a fight and his lips were determined to win this battle. His kisses were barely contained in their desire, and I could hear my breath hitching as I tried to keep up with him.

The fog of surprise cleared from my brain just enough for me to realize that I was currently headed towards a make out with Kaz Warrick. Oh dear.

I pulled away from him, stumbling backwards. He kept his hands on me and steadied me before letting his arms fall to his sides.

Alright, Killian. Say something smooth. Say something that won't make this horribly awkward.

"The only thing I thought my lips would touch today was food." Nailed it, Killian. Absolutely nailed it.

"You're so oblivious," he repeated.

"So you...like me?" My brain was struggling to keep up. How could someone have a crush on me?

"No, O'Malley, kissing people is my way of apologizing," he said. "Yes, you idiot. I like you."

"But...you can't," I said in confusion.

"I can't? Well, I'll sit my heart down and have a long chat with it about its behavior tonight," Kaz assured.

"I'm..." I gestured to myself, as if that explained how undesirable I was. I was embarrassing and clumsy and out of shape and barely passed as decently appealing to look at.

"I wish you saw yourself the way I see you," he said, reaching up and fixing his hair. "People never seem to give themselves the credit they're due."

I thought back to everything Kaz had done around me since I'd first come here, and I guess I had just passing off the hints of his crush. Now that I knew the truth, it seemed so glaringly obvious.

"The others knew," I said slowly. "They knew you had a crush on me."

"They did," he said with a nod.

I sat down on the ground and stared up at Kaz blankly. Me. A boy liked me. As in, wanted to date me and kiss me. And not just because I was desperate and willing to hook up with anything that breathed.

"You going to be alright there, O'Malley?" he asked, lightly kicking me.

"Oh yea. Just in total shock," I said. "So that Aaron kid?"

"I guess you could say we dated," Kaz said with a shrug. "I sold my dignity for a cute boyfriend with a shitty moral code."

"I tongued a friend of mine out of sheer desperation," I said. "I win the pathetic competition. I should also learn to stop talking, okie dokie Killian, great job."

Kaz snickered. "Trust me, nothing was more pathetic than my relationship with Aaron."

He held his hand out to me and I took it. He pulled me to my feet and I expected him to go for another kiss, but he just released my hand and stepped back.