Chapter 3

Officer Marcs looked at me for a moment with a mixture of sadness and amazement in his eyes. "Um *cough* so he grabbed you off the porch and took you inside."

"After he opened the door and backed in he threw me on the couch. Went back, shut and locked the door."

"Did you try to run? Find another way out? We found a broken door in the garage. It looked like it was broken from the inside. Was that you?"

"No, that was something else. I did run though. I tried to run upstairs but when I got to the third step he grabbed my back leg and pulled me down. He threw me over his shoulder  and held my legs so tight I thought they would break. He carried me through a door next to the stairs and shut it. He hadn't turned on the lights yet so I didn't know where we were I thought he was going to kill me or rape me but then he turned on the light. We were in a bathroom. With a shower, toilet, and sink. A single white towel hung on a hook next to the sliding glass door to the shower. He put the lid to the toilet down and sat me on it. I didn't know what to do. It was to small so I knew that if I tried to fight him I wouldn't win. After he put me down and quickly backed away towards the door. He put his hand on the back of his head and scratched. 'I know you are scared and I know you want to know whats going on but I cant tell you.' I then realized he never said anything until now and when he spoke...his voice was so...so..."

"Angry, dark.." Marcs added

"Normal." I said "He spoke as if he has said this multiple times and the way he moved and his actions seem so...rehearsed like he stood in front of the mirror and practiced it over and over again until it became an everyday normal thing. Everything was, from the moment I pulled into the driveway until now. It was so normal." I zoned out. The scene of him taking me, throwing me on the couch, the stairs, the bathroom played over and over until...

"Ms. Night...are you still okay with talking about this." Officer Marcs sounded like a father. Caring and nervous.

"Yes, Im..Im fine. Um okay the um the bathroom so after he said that he pointed to the towel. 'I got your favorite color I know that you like it because of how pure it is and all so I thought you might like it.' he threw his hand out and waved it it left to right. 'I made the whole bathroom white actually I thought you would feel better taking a shower in a room with the color you enjoy most.' After he said that I did notice the smell of paint as if he painted it only a few days ago. I remember saying, "I refuse to take a shower. Are you crazy? Let me leave” then he said "You need to be perfect. If you don’t get in I will put you in” then he left."

Officer Marcs looked confused, "Why would he want you to take a shower?"

"I didn’t know. I didn’t really understand until I got to the basement."

"And when did he take you there?" 

"He didn’t take me there. I found it. "

"How?" Marcs asked as he took a sip of his coffee

"I did as he asked and I took a shower. When I got out, I dressed myself. I opened the door and he was standing right in front of me like he had been waiting all this time and he said,”Finally! God what was taking you so long. You must eat something before we go, if you could have anything what would it be?” I replied, “An explanation for what the heck is happening!” then he slapped me across the face.  ”You will not talk to me like this! You will listen and obey me Halie!”

"Has he ever acted like this before? Violent wise?"

"No, never and I never thought he would."

Marcs looked at me for a moment as though he wanted to say something but couldn’t, "Please continue Ms. Night"

"I remember just being frozen. No one had ever hit me before and the that thought I loved this man with all my heart at one point scared me. I remember just yelling “I'm done!” over and over and trying to run anywhere to get away from him. I ran to the front door but he grabbed me from behind and we fell to the floor. Some how I got away and ran to the first door I saw, ran in and locked it. I put my back against the door and slowly fell until I felt cold cement. He banged on the door yelling for me to come out. I sat there with my head in my hands and cried. Then I heard a psssst.  I remember being scared that someone would be right in front of me when I lifted my head so didn’t. I didn’t move or say anything, I just continued to cry. I heard another psssst and felt sick. Then I heard a girls voice say, “It will be okay, I promise It will be okay. You have to be strong.” The voice didn’t sound as though it was close to me so I lifted my head. I saw a small amount of light coming from both sides of the room. When I walked closer past the wall, I saw them."

"The girls?"

"I first saw Dani in her chair in the corner. I didn’t know what to do. She was wearing a blue dress the same color as her chair with her brown curls flowing down to her middle of her stomach. I saw the buckles on her ankles and wrists. “Im Dani. What's your name?” I pulled myself together in complete shock, “Halie” I answered. Realizing that I could be her only help, I slowly walked over and tried to unbuckle her , I thought it was just me and her then I heard another voice. “There's no use in that hun.” I turned to see another girl with short brown hair to the middle of her neck in a pink dress same as her chair, she looked at me with a look so sad I don’t even want to think about it. “Im Elizabeth” before I could say anything she nodded her head to her right, “And this is Audrey and Taylor” I turn to see two more brown haired beauties both with hair a little above their shoulders. They smiled back at me, but it wasn't a happy-to-see-you-welcome-to-the-club kind of smile. It was a Im-so-sorry-I-wish-I-could-help-but-I-cant smile. I didn’t know what to do or feel or say, then the door was kicked in.''