Chapter 12

"The smell of flesh still filled the room even though it was now July. The heat made everything smell worse. The mold, the water leaking from upstairs, the blood and burnt flesh. The Dani scene, which is what me and Taylor called it, was still set deep in our minds. The gun shot, image of her head dropping and her body slowly being engulfed by the flame of her birthday candle still invades my dreams like a never ending horror movie. Sometimes the dream is so strong I swear I can feel the heat of the flames against my pale, thin face. Me and Taylor cried every night, we both knew why. Dani, Elizabeth, Emily, Audrey, Alex. Taylor knew she was next but then again I thought I was next. He could take either one of us anytime. 

 Alex came down one night while we tired to get some sleep. "Wake up skanks! Food!" My head shot up and I saw Alex standing in the door way. "W-What?" Taylor stumbled with her words as she woke up. "You heard me skank. Eat your food." Alex dropped the plate of what looked like vomit in Taylor’s and my lap. "We are not skanks!" I yelled at him. Next thing I know a sharp sting spread across my face. "Shut up! You cant talk to me like that! Besides she is! She's a slut! Right Taylor?" We both turn our heads toward her. Tears rolling down her face and landing on her shaking knees. "Shut up, Alex! You promised!" she snapped, looking dead into his eyes with hers squinted and filled with hate. Alex stormed across the room and slapped her across the face but Taylor didn't stay silent. "You promised you wouldn't!" Alex grabbed both her shoulders tightly. "I promised you a lot of things sweetheart. I didn't keep those so I sure as heck wont be keeping this one!" He pushed her back causing the chair the fall down and Taylor's head hit the floor. Her scream pierced my ears. "Besides!" Alex shouted as he stood over her. "It will give you two something to talk about!" He looked over to me. "It's been pretty dead down here." He kicks the chair and walked out. Taylor stilled laid on the floor crying. "Taylor are you okay?" I ask with my voice cracking. "He is right you know." She takes a deep shaky breath in and out. "I am a slut or skank or whatever he said. " She started to cry again. "Taylor, I don't know why he said that." I said trying to comfort her. "It was stupid, He's stupid. He was just saying that stuff to make us, well you, feel like crap. To make us feel less." "I was a prostitute." Taylor then began to sob. I didn't know what to say but she kept going. "That's how we met. That's why I'm here. He picked me up but it wasn't the first time I had met him. I don't know why but I was the only one he wanted. He came and picked me up every night for 2 weeks but it was like, in a weird way, he made me feel special, like he only wanted me. When we would come here though it wasn't just doing it, but he let me get a shower and we would eat dinner and watch movies. It was like I was his girlfriend or something. One night he came to get me like he always did but when we got here, he hit me and I woke up in here tied to the chair and three girls staring at me. He had promised me he wouldn't tell them. I didn't want them to think of me as any different from them. I just told them he took me while I was walking my dog because I wanted to seem normal like them." Her sobs grew louder. I just sat there staring her as she cried on the floor. Those words were the last I thought would come out of her mouth. "Taylor," my voice came out shaky and uncertain, "I think nothing less of you. I'm sorry Taylor." I began to cry. "I-I'm s-sorry too." Taylor spoke through her sobs. "I'm sorry that y-you are here too." After a few more moments of tears, Taylor spoke up again. "You know, its a lot of comfortable down here." We both laughed through our tears. Soon, slowly but surely, we fell asleep.

He came down the next morning and fixed Taylor's chair but after that we didn't him see again for the whole month. But there was something about August. There was something sad, quiet, and dark. It was a mystery and that was scary and I know Taylor could feel it too. My head was hung as I tried to rest when through a mist of hunger and exhaustion I heard Taylor's voice. "Halie?" My head popped up and turned toward her thin figure. "Yeah?" Taylor stared at me for a moment, her eyes then rolled back and her head fell. "Taylor? Tay, are you okay?" Her shoulders then dropped forward. Her head now hanging a little above her lap. "Taylor!" I yelled. "Please Tay get up! Taylor you cant leave me! TAYLOR!" I screamed. The basement door flung open with Alex standing in the door way. "Will you shut up!" He yelled at me "Something is wrong with Taylor!" I yelled back. He rolled his eyes and walks over to Taylor's limp body. He kicks her in the leg. Nothing. Slaps her across the face. Nothing. Again. Nothing. He then feels her neck. "Well," Alex says as he unbuckled one of her legs. "What's that softball cheer?" He started unbuckling the other. "Four down, one to go, four down one to go. *Clap, Clap* He looks over at me then smiles. Alex then unbuckled her arms causing her whole body to fall forward and land on the dirty gray floor with a thud. "Why?" I say silently to myself. "Excuse me?" Alex said as he picked Taylor's lifeless form and threw her over his shoulder like it was nothing. "Nothing." I say. "If you're going to say something," Alex says in a irritated manner. "then say it. I don't have time for your crap. Besides its just me and you now baby. Who else are you going to talk to?" He then picked up Taylor's chair with the other arm. "Why are you doing this!" I yell at him. "Why them! Why me!" Alex walked over to the doorway and threw Taylor's chair into the living room. He then took Taylor's body off his shoulder and tossed her next to the chair as if he took a heavy backpack off his shoulder. He then walked toward me. He sat on the floor in front of my chair and stared at me. "You are still so beautiful. Even after all the crap you have put me through. You are still so beautiful." "The crap I put you through!" I shouted at him. "I sit, strapped to a chair with 4 other girls who have all died because of your hand and you're going to sit here and tell me it has been hard on you!" Now I'm screaming. He laughs. '' You're so cute." He looks at me for a little while and continues. "Okay fine. Here we go." He claps his hands together and leans towards me. "Once upon time..."

"Officer Marcs?" A women with red hair and glasses intrudes. "Yes." Officer Marcs answers in an irritated voice. "Um your wife is on the phone she says its important." The women itches her nose as she waits for a response. Marcs sighs loudly and pauses the recorder. "Ill be right back Ms. Night." I gave him a small smile. Not only to reassure him that his leaving for a moment was fine but because all of this was working out perfectly and I loved it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey Guys :) I cant believe chairs is almost over just one more chapter! :,( But don't be to sad! I am in the middle of creating a new mystery/thriller called "The Doll" so just stick around my page and wait for that one :) I love you guys! See you for the final chapter!!