Chapter 9

"It was so cold and dark. After awhile I could start to see the outline of the shelves and blankets. I could see my legs shivering from the cold air surrounding me. I had cried myself to sleep after Alex left. I woke up with my head arched over the back of the chair and pressure in my lap. When I looked down I saw a large rat. I screamed and shook my body around until the rat ran behind the shelf. The rest of the time I would try to sleep but the cold would send random shivers down my spine. When I was finally able to start falling asleep the sound of the storm door awaken me. I opened my eyes to find Alex standing in front of me. "Good morning sunshine." He flipped on the light allowing me to see a white box in his hand. "Dinner for my darling" He puts the box in my lap. "Chicken and dumplings with green beans and mashed potatoes. It was Taylor's turn to choose dinner." He unbuckled my arms and handed me the fork and spoon. No knife. I could feel the warmth of the food in my lap. While I was eating Alex watched. "You're adorable. You look cold. Are you cold?" I didn't answer. I continued to eat. "I'm sure you are. I checked the temperature before I came down. You want to know what it is? 30 degrees. I'm thinking that it should a bit cooler though, it seems to be a little warm." He smiled at me. I put a fork full of dumplings in my mouth. I didn't realized its been a whole day and I hadn't eaten a thing.  "I hate you so much." He laughed. "Right now you love me." He spoke. "You love that I brought you food and came to talk to you so your not alone but I think I'm going to leave soon. I have to order a chair for Emily." He paused for a moment. "Halie, what happened to us? Yesterday morning we were dancing and in love and now you hate me and we are sitting my storm cellar with you buckled in." I stopped eating and looked up. "This is a joke right? You're freaking kidding me right?" he looked at me blankly. "No, I'm not. I'm going to be honest with you. I really fell for you. I made the others fall for me but you not only fell for me but I fell for you too. Crazy right? I'm able to talk you, I never talk to the other girls." He stopped himself. "No, no no  I'm not tell you anything! How dare you! How dare you try and make me tell you everything! You're done!." He took the food from me. "You. tried. to. leave." He paused between each word. "Four words! Four days!" He shouted as ran out slamming the door behind. I sat still holding the fork in my hand."

"What was that?" I asked myself. I sat there for a moment then realizing my arms were undone. I bent down and unbuckled my ankles. I ran up the stairs only to find that the door was locked. I walked back down and explored the storm cellar. I looked on the shelves, there was nothing but the blankets and stuff for the chairs. I walked towards the chairs that sat in the dark corner where Alex had grabbed mine. I couldn't really see what was back there so I reached in and felt around when my hand landed on something hard but soft. I pulled it out. It was Taylor's chair. It was dusty, a little moldy and had tear in seat. I guess this was her old chair. I pushed it off to the side reached in and pulled out Elizabeth’s chair, Dani's, then Audrey's.  I pushed them off to the side. I thought maybe I could find another way out or something so I walked back there and felt along the wall. I walked for a short amount of time until my foot smashed into what seemed like metal. I grabbed my foot and jumped back for a second. When my foot felt better I reached forward and grabbed the object that caused me pained and started to pull it into the light. By the feel, I knew it was a metal fold out chair just like the one in the white and red room in the house but this was heavier. I pulled it out more causing light to show me what I was holding. I screamed and fell onto the ground. I crawled backwards in a panic and ended up running my back into the other chairs. I couldn't take my eyes off of chair in front of me. I slowly walked back towards the chair my heart racing, my palms sweaty. I ran my hand through my hair and pulled the stray strands behind my ear. She was blue and black. Her brown hair was stiff and looked as though it would all break off if you touched it. Her blue eyes opened wide and frozen. Her lips black and pieces missing. Her hands were tied behind the chair with an old rope and her legs each tied to the front two legs. Her expression blank. I put my hand over my mouth and I gagged when I saw most of her fingers and toes were gone. I couldn't take my eyes off her. The more I looked at her the more I noticed the bruises and dried blood that covered her face and arms. She was wearing a dress just like mine but in purple. Her knees were bruised and cut and her feet were covered in dry mud. Then it hit me, she was trying to leave. She tried to run. It was Heather. I'm the one who replaced her. H. Did Alex tell her she would be down here for four days and never came back? I could die here! I need to get out of here! I ran to the door and pounded on it and screamed for him to let me out. After awhile I stopped and sat down and cried. I was so cold and I couldn't feel my arms or legs. 4 more days and I could be out. I need to get out. I laid down on the steps that led up to the storm door and again I cried myself to sleep."