Chapter 7

Officer Marcs apologized for the recorder, stopped it, pushed it away, and turned on the extra he had brought in earlier. He pushed the bottom with the little red circle in the center. "Please continue."

I took a breathe and closed my eyes. "Okay." I spoke. "The door flung open and a girl was there."

"Was it one of the other girls from the basement?" Officer Marcs added.

"No, she had to be 8 or 9. She was wearing a pink dress that  went just past her knees. She had a flower on her head band that matched the dress that laid beautifully in her curly brown hair. She wore small white ballet flats and a frog backpack that had a flower where the hair would be if frogs had hair. I remember seeing her face it started happy like a 'yay I'm home' then went to 'Oh my God'. She stood in the door way for a little. The look of shock still present on her face. She muttered a small, quiet 'Daddy?' and ran away before anything else was said. After a few moments of listening to her small cry and frantic foot steps running down the stairs, through the living room, opening the front door and slamming it behind her. Alex's face was in shock as well as he was stared at the door way. He turned to me then quickly turned back and ran after the girl calling her name, "EMILY! EMILY! COME BACK!" I heard the front door open and slap shut again."

"So" Officer Marcs interrupted, "He has a daughter?"

"Yes and you wouldn't have known. I didn't even know. There were no pictures or mention of anyone named Emily. Alex having a child, let alone a daughter, never crossed my mind. After the door slapped shut, I fell out of the chair back to floor it hurt but not as bad as the punches Alex throw at me. I remember laying on the floor thinking about the little girl and how any of that happened and when. It hit me after a few moments that the door was unlocked, I was not buckled in and no one could stop me. I stood up slowly and regained my balance. After I did so I listened to make sure no one had come back. When I heard nothing, I went as quickly as I possibly could down the stairs to the basement. The table was still set, the girls had finished there meals. "What happened?!" Audrey yelled when she saw me in the doorway. "He took me to this room and he..." "I know that Halie. We have all been there when we disobey," Dani interrupted. "where did Alex go? Who was he running after?" I ran over to Dani and and started unbuckling her ankles. "I don't know." I replied "She called him daddy and ran. His daughter I'm guessing." The girls didn’t say anything. They just had confused faces. When I finished Dani's Ankles, I started to undo Audrey's. "What are you doing? He'll be back." Audrey spoke up. Before I could answer Dani added, "He is never gone while we are undone, if we have a chance we are going to take it." I finished Audrey and moved on the Taylor then Elizabeth. We ran out of the basement and in the kitchen Taylor and Audrey both looked for a knife, ''There's nothing!" Taylor shouted. I stood outside looking for Alex or little Emily. Dani and Elizabeth went upstairs to see if they could find a phone or gun or something. They came down soon after, "Nothing." Elizabeth said. "There's no phone, or gun. If he has one he hid it well." "We should get out of here before they come back." Taylor spoke up. "Yeah let's go.” Audrey added. We tried going out a side door near the kitchen but it was locked from the outside. We tried a door in the back of the house but it was locked the same. We ran back to the front. We ran out of the house, down the porch and to the side of the house, we ran to the garage in the back of the house. "He probably moved my car out here." I whispered to the girls. We slowly opened the garage door, my car sat in the center of the huge room that smelled of dirt and oil. As we jogged to the car we stopped short to find the girl sitting in a ball in the front of the car crying. None of us move we just stand there watching this little girl who has no idea of our presents cry."

"Marcs?" a green eyed officer says as he opens the door. "Yes?" Marcs answers in a frustrated tone. "Your wife called. She wants to know when you'll be home." The officer replied hesitantly. "Tell her I'll call her when we are done here and don't interrupt again. Unless the building is on fire." Marcs said it in a joking manner but you knew he was serious at the same time. The other officer nodded his head and left. "Please continue Halie.'' Officer Marcs said after green eyes was gone. 

"Out of no where,'' I continued. "We heard foot steps run up into the garage, "What in the.." "Daddy no!" the little girl yelled before he could finish. She jumped up ready to run when she saw us. She gasped and jumped back. "WHY ARE YOU HERE!" Alex screamed "WHY ARE ANY OF YOU HERE!" We stood there helpless. The only one of us who had enough courage to say or do anything was the girl. "Daddy please stop! Please stop Daddy!" she yelled. "STOP!" He screamed. He then ran quickly up to her, dropped to his knees and pulled a gun out from behind his back causing the girls and me to jump back. "Oh baby," he whispered "I haven't even started yet." He pulled back the hammer on the gun. "Alex she's just a girl!" Elizabeth yelled out. Alex whipped his head around, aimed, and *BAM* he pulled the trigger. It was so fast but at the same time so slow. There was nothing that any of us could do. We all watched as she dropped to the ground, lifeless. "Elizabeth!" Taylor yelled out and dropped to the ground with her. He shot her in the head. A perfect clean shot to the head. The little girl was crying more then she was already and dropped to her knees while putting her head in her hands. "You just had to make me angry!" Alex yelled at Elizabeth’s lifeless body. Dani, Audrey and Me stood motionless looking at the girl, then Alex to Elizabeth, back to Alex who had the gun still in his hands. He stood up and walked over to us. Taylor stood up quickly and we all clung to each other. Alex waved the gun at me. "Day one and your already causing me trouble.'' Those words then came with a hit to my head with the gun. I fell to ground. I stayed. I didn't dare move. "Now what am I going to do!" Alex yelled. "There has to fi.." He stopped and slowly turned towards the little girl who was stilling crying on her knees. He walked ever so slowly to her and bent down on one knee. He lifted her head slowly. She looked terrified. He slowly let his hand fall through her brown hair. Then held her by her chin and looked into her scared blue eyes. "I guess," He said slowly and quietly. "I guess you will just have to do, Emily." She stopped crying. Her blood shot blue eyes grew larger then before. She ran over to us and clung to Audrey's leg. When I no longer felt dizzy, I slowly stood to my feet and held onto Taylor for support. Alex stood up and turned back towards us. "Alex she is to young!" Audrey spoke out. Alex whipped the gun out, aimed it at Audrey's head and pulled back the hammer. "Don't make me find another A." He said coldly. After a few moments, he put the safety on causing the hammer to go back to its original position. He waved the gun to each of us. "D. E. A. T. H" He then put the gun behind his back again. He walked over and knelt down next to Elizabeth's body. He moved the hair out of her blood covered face and looked up at us. He smiled, "Perfection."