Chapter 98

Chapter 98

I jumped out of my car and ran into the loft. I turned into the doorway and stopped."Hopefully not all for nothing." Peter said. What was all for nothing? "What happened?" I demanded as I rushed across the room. I rushed behind the desk where Peter was facing.

I stopped when I saw Cora, completely fine, next to a tired, worn out looking Derek. Well, a weak looking Derek. He didn't look okay at all.

"Your okay?" I asked Cora not sure what to say. She smiled. "Thanks to Derek." I walked up to Derek and sat down beside him. I put my hand on his arm.

He looked at me and gave me a small smile. "What happened?" I asked again. I needed an answer. "Derek gave his power to Cora." I looked at Peter confused. "The power that made him an alpha." My thoughts went back to last night. When I felt a rush of power leave. It was Derek's.

"He's not an alpha anymore." I whispered. Peter shook his head.

"The moon is rising, Derek. You drained your battery all the way to the red, and there is a fully charged alpha on her way to rip you limb from limb." Peter told him as Cora moved his hair away from his forehead. Kali was still angry at Derek and I knew nothing that I said or did would stop her. She wanted revenge.

"I'll be fine in a few hours." Derek breathed out weakly. "I sincerely hope so, because a few hours is all you have." Peter told him.

Cora stood up to talk to Peter. I took his arm and took a deep breath. Derek grabbed my wrist. "Don't." I looked up at him surprised. "Don't give me your power." I shook my head. Why? He's weak. He needs it.

"No, don't do it. You're going to have to fight Deucalion and I'm not going to risk you getting hurt just because you gave me a little power." I reluctantly agree. But I knew I couldn't fight the twins. I knew Kali and I wouldn't really fight. We would probably end up just blocking each other's half hearted swings.

I heard a car pull up. My head snapped in the direction of Cora and Peter. Cora looked at me terrified. I helped Derek stand up. He stumbled a bit but I steadied him.

I could hear heals clicking against the floor. I stood ready to do whatever I had to to keep Derek safe.

I was taken off guard when Ethan and Lydia walked into the loft. Derek looked at me confused. I nodded. I walked beside Derek as he walked toward them.

Cora grabbed my arm and gave me a what's-going-on look. I gave her a look of reassurance. I stood beside Derek as Cora and Peter stood back.

"What are you doing here?" Derek demanded. "We know your not an alpha anymore and we know Kali and my brother are coming after you." Ethan told us almost business like. Why the hell did he care?

"We know about the lunar eclipse, so don't think Kali's gonna sit around waiting for it to level the playing field. She's coming, and my brother's coming with her." Ethan told us as if he's conducting a speech. My body went ridged as I looked him over.

Ethan had tried to kill me on several occasions and his brother was worse. Why should I trust him on this one? He's given me no reason to.

"Good enough for me. Derek?" Peter said. I rolled my eyes. I really hate Peter. I don't think I'll ever like him again.

"You want me to run?" Derek asked not looking at anyone in particular. I could tell he was in one of those moods where he thinks he can do anything and everyone is wrong but him.

"No. I want you to stay and get slaughtered by an alpha with a psychotic foot fetish. Of course I want you to run." Peter said walking toward us. "Sprint, gallop, leap your way the hell out of this town." Peter said trying to get Derek out of his mood; but we both knew nothing would work. Not know.

"If you want to fight and die for something, that's fine with me," Cora said. Derek turned his head to look at her. "but do it for something meaningful." I knew how the Hales did things. They believe if you wanted to die in combat, do it honorably. No one would stop you. But I'm not a Hale. I'm an Argent. I never believe that in all my time with them.

"How do you know I'm going to lose?" Derek said looking at the floor. Sometimes I question if he was actually talking to the floor.

"Derek." I whispered. He looked down at me. I shook my head at him, tying to discourage him. "We don't, but I'll bet she has an idea." Peter said looking at Lydia. She looked back at him scared but she tried to hide it. Why would she have an idea? She's just a hu... No, banshee. Jennifer called her a banshee. But what the hell does that mean? I had no idea they even existed, much less what they do.

Peter walked toward her. "Don't you, Lydia?" Peter said creepily. "I don't know anything." She said trying to stay brave. "But you feel something, don't you?" Peter asked her.

"What do you feel?" Derek asked her coldly. "I feel like... I'm standing in a graveyard."