SEVEN

"SO, YOU'RE TELLING me that he said he loved you?" Colton questioned as he put an IV in a patient

I nodded my head and took a deep breath. "I know my dad told me that drunk actions are sober thoughts, but after the thousand times he's hurt me I don't know what to believe."

Colton threw away his gloves and leaned against the wall. "Skylar, your dad was one of the smartest people I knew. I mean, he was a brain surgeon! He knew everything to do with the mind, and if he told you drunk actions are sober thoughts, then I think you should listen to your dad." 

"Love is tough, isn't it?" The patient looked at me and asked. 

I slightly smiled. "Tough love." 

"But tough loves are always the best ones. I think you should let him know what he's missed, but at the same time don't hurt him too much in the process. If that happens, you'll lose him." The guy spoke and I gave him a toothy grin. 

Colton and I exited his room and went to go find Kelly. "Andrews! Winston!" We heard Kelly's voice shout and we instantly snapped our heads in the direction of her voice. 

She walked over to us and had a sad expression on her face. "We have this family in the waiting room. Their father got shot, but he hasn't seen his kids or his wife in a year. They're a broken family. The dad doesn't know they're here and I suggest you don't tell him until he gets better. Go in there and talk to them."

Colton and I gave each other the 'we're going to get smothered in tears and stories' look and trudged over to the family. "They're right there." I pointed towards a mother who was sitting in the chair with her arms crossed and two teenagers that are crying. 

Colton furrowed his eyebrows. "How do you know that?"

"Trust me, I know a broken family when I see one." I spoke softly, thinking about the kids and Soda. 

We walked over to them and I gave them a small smile. "You all must be here for your dad." The teenagers nodded and the mother just scoffed and shook her head. 

I scrunched my face up in confusion and looked at the woman. "Ma'am is something wrong?" 

She stood up and started yelling. "Yes, something is wrong! I told this idiot to not walk out at night because it's a dangerous neighborhood, but he doesn't listen to me! That's why I left him in the first place!" 

I fought back the urge to cuss the woman out and flashed her a fake smile. "Ms..." 

"Carson." She snapped.

"Ms. Carson, I can understand why you're mad, but I don't think you understand how serious your ex husband's injuries are."

The teenagers both ran over to me with worry splashed across their face. "Where's the bullet located?"