FIFTEEN

I WAS RUNNING in the dark, the wind slapping against my face

I WAS RUNNING in the dark, the wind slapping against my face. I felt free again. As I expected, I heard the faint sound of police sirens after me. Darry is going to be so pissed. I stopped and decided I'd let the fuzz get me. I'm already in huge trouble. 

They stepped out of the car, slamming the door. "Well, well, well, what do we have here? A Winston. No surprise." The cop scoffed and grabbed me by the wrist, shoving me into the back of the police car. 

"You could've been less harsh about it." I snapped, flipping him off from the back seat. 

"Look here, missy. My job is to protect the people of this town, not come after stupid people like you who like to vandalize things." 

I rolled my eyes and stared at the window. "This is who I am. I can't help that, officer." 

He chuckled slightly from the driver's side. "That's not who you are. I've known you pretty well because of your brother and you two were complete opposites. I don't know what got into you tonight, but it better not happen again." 

I shook my head and kept my gaze on my converse shoes, now covered in blue spray paint. "You don't understand. They say I'm not myself, but when I go back to being the reckless me, I'm probably going to get the same lecture." 

He glanced at me from the mirror and sighed. "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I can tell you one thing."

"What?"

"You've turned worse than Dally."

The rest of the drive was silent, as we pulled up to the Curtis's

The rest of the drive was silent, as we pulled up to the Curtis's. The whole gang was in there because I could hear the hoots and hollers from the car. 

Thank God, Gracie and Ashton are at Sarah's tonight.

The police officer opened the door and shoved me inside, me having a guilty look on my face. The whole gang looked up, shock clearly written all over their faces. Darry and Soda were probably the only ones who looked pissed off. 

"What the hell did you do, Skylar?" Darry yelled and stood up from his rocking chair, over to us. 

The police officer chuckled, "She vandalized almost every single one of the Soc's cars." 

Darry closed his eyes in frustration and took a deep breath. "How much will the costs be?" 

"None, actually. A Soc guy named, Lucas, told her not to worry about it and that he would get everything cleared up." 

[this is probably how Soda feels right now]

Soda was even more pissed off and stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him

Soda was even more pissed off and stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him. Darry told the officer thanks and once he left, he shot me a death glare. "Are you out of your mind?" 

I scoffed and raised my hands in the air. "I guess so!"

"This is not you." Darry shook his head and I slammed my fists down on the table, making everyone jump in surprise. 

"There it is! Y'all tell me that I'm not myself anymore, that I need to be my old reckless self because that's how Winston's are! So, when I finally am reckless, y'all yell at me and tell me that I'm not being myself again! What the hell am I then?" I was screaming at the top of my lungs and Darry sighed, "Skylar-" 

"No, just shut your mouth. I have to go find, Soda." 

I ran out the door and glanced around the house, Soda was nowhere. Then, I immediately knew where to find him. I soon found my feet sprinting towards the park and slowed down when I saw Soda sitting on the swings we always used to sit on together. I sat down next to him and started swinging back and forth in silence. "Why would you do that, Blue?" He questioned, his voice cold. It made my insides crumble, and not in a good way. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook the tears away. The old Skylar held in her tears, and they wanted the old Skylar back. So, I guess I'm going to hold in my tears. "I still can't find myself." I whispered, the wind gliding through my blonde hair. 

Soda glanced at me and shook his head. "If the kids were there and saw their mother being brought in the house by a police officer, what do you think they'd say, huh?" 

"Stop." I snapped, and Soda rolled his eyes, standing out of the swing. "Look, Blue. We told you to be yourself, not be worse than Dally." 

I bit back the tears and looked away from his stare. "If you hate this personality of mine so much, then why are you even dating me?" 

I heard him sigh, "I'm still dating you because I love you no matter what. And I know that deep down in there, the old Skylar is pounding, wanting to get out. It will take some time, but the old you will come back." 

I ran into his arms and he wrapped his arms around me, tightening his grip on my waist. "I love you so much, Soda." I whispered in his ear. 

"I love you even more." 

We walked back towards the Curtis's, hand in hand

We walked back towards the Curtis's, hand in hand. I leaned my head on his shoulders and he gave me a peck on my forehead. Once we entered, everyone said, 'awwwww,' causing us to chuckle. Darry had a guilty look on his face and came over to me, pulling me into a hug. "I'm sorry about all of those things I said earlier." 

I waved my hand, dismissing it. "You're just being a father. I need one in my life, so thank you."

Two-Bit wiped away fake tears, causing all of us to laugh. We sat down and watched some Mickey Mouse together, just like the old times. "Hey, Blue." Soda spoke while staring at me. 

"Hmmm?" 

"Why did Lucas take up for you?"