ELEVEN

"Your older brother is your first male friend in life

"Your older brother is your first male friend in life."
[unknown]

//

"OH MY- DALLY!" Kelly screamed and ran over to me. I kept wrapping the bandage around the bullet wound. "The ambulance and police are on their way."

She nodded, but no words could form in her mouth. I don't know why, but it made me pissed off. I'm his sister, I want to be the one crying, but I can't because I'm trying to SAVE him. She's his girlfriend and she's acting like he's already dead. 

Soda was right behind me, his eyes wild. "Blue, do you want me to help you? You look like you're about to pass out."

"I'm fine, Soda, just please back up." 

I could hear the faint sound of the sirens and said a silent prayer. I haven't said one in a long time, and I really needed some comfort. They finally pulled up and immediately recognized me. "Skylar, what happened?"

"Gun shot." 

They nodded and put Dally up on a stretcher. Once they got him in the ambulance, I hopped in there with them and closed the door before Kelly could come in. 

They started putting a breathing mask around him and I grabbed both of their wrists, causing them to look up at me. "Guys, this is my brother. Please, just please, do everything you can to make him stay alive from here to the hospital."

They nodded, understanding, and went back to attaching everything to Dally's lifeless body.

I was surprisingly calm, which freaked me out. Maybe I was just used to doing this. My shaky fingers reached the wall phone, and I dialed Colton's number. 

"Hello?"
"Colton, it's Skylar."
"Skylar? Why are you calling me from the ambulance phone?"
"D-Dally, h-he-"
"I'll meet you at the hospital."

Once I hung up, I swallowed back the lump in my throat. Don't cry right now. Remember, Skylar, you can't get attached to your patients.

We arrived at the hospital and as soon as the wheels from the stretcher hit the ground, I rushed Dally in the hospital. Everyone knew who I was, so they didn't question it. "Winston? What's this?" The chief had his arms raised out, running beside me. 

"Gun shot. We need to operate on him immediately."

"You don't work on this part though. Unless he got shot in the brain, you have no right to operate on him, Winston."

"Does it look like I care?" I snapped and put Dally in a room. 

I started grabbing out tools and was stopped when the chief put his hands around my wrist. "Skylar, tell me what's going on. Now."

That's when the tears started falling down my face. "You don't understand! We need to work on him now, he's losing a lot of blood! This is my brother! Let me operate on him! He's the only family I have left!"

I was pounding on his chest and crying uncontrollably. Other people rushed in and started operating on Dally while he dragged me out of the room. When we got outside of the room, I collapsed on the floor, hardly breathing. "Skylar! Chief! What the hell happened?!" Colton shouted while running over to me. He put his fingers through my hair and I sobbed in his chest. 

"Her brother got shot in the chest. She can't operate on him. She's a BRAIN surgeon, and plus, it never ends well when you have an attachment to a patient. We all know that." Chief spoke while walking away. 

Colton sighed and carried me to the waiting room. I heard everyone gasp when we entered, and Colton put me down. I could barely stand up my legs felt so limp. I glanced up and Soda looked at me with a sad expression on his face. "Oh, Blue.."

I started crying and ran into his arms. 

He held me tightly and never let go

He held me tightly and never let go. "Blue, Dallas is one of the strongest people I know. He can and will make it through this."

I almost believed him for a second.

"Winston?"

I removed my face from Soda's chest and saw Dr. Owens standing there in his scrubs. He had an expression on his face that I couldn't read and it made me even more nervous. "The bullet that went through Dallas grazed his left artery. He only lasted a few minutes after we operated on him. I'm so sorry, Skylar."

I fell on my hands and knees and was crying so much, I couldn't breathe. It hurt to breathe. It hurt to cry. It hurt to do anything. I held my stomach it hurt so much. Soda was crying beside me, holding me in his arms just like the day he did when my mom died. Everyone was surrounding me, crying. 

//

"Why do you never hope for things, Blue?"

"I'm fine believing nothing much is going to happen to me. Otherwise, I'm full of hope. You hope for things, you get disappointed." I spoke and looked down while fiddling with my fingers.

//

"Hope is for suckers." I breathed.