Chapter 4

*Somewhat edited*

Italicized phrases with a * next to it mean it's in Elvish

I blink back the bright light to see Mother, Father, and Legolas. Today there's a slight breeze in the air, rustling our hair. 

All eyes are on me, I suppose they are waiting to see how I react. Inside, I feel like breaking down into a fit of tears, but on the outside, I'm as hard as stone. Sorta.

I try my best to avert my gaze from Legolas, which is harder than I expected it to be. I go to Nana and Ada and they pull me into a tight hug. When they pull away it feels too soon. 

The birds chirp around us and I hear the soft breathing of the two horses Legolas has a hold of, one white, one grey.

"Take care, dear*'" Mother smiles at me.

"Lumornel," I look to Father, "have this, it was once mine. But I have no use for it now, it is yours." He holds out a long dagger. He pulls it out of its sheath so I can look at it better.

With trembling hands I take it. I turn it around in my hands, the dagger has intricate carvings in it and an elvish script is carved into it. It says, 'love will always find a way.' 

I put the dangerous metal back in its sheath and look up at Father, "diola lle," I whisper and pull him into another hug. I carefully put the sheathed dagger into the belt around my waist. [thank you]

"Lumornel," I hear Legolas's urgent voice from behind, "it's time to go." I nod and he pulls forward the grey horse. I hesitate before taking the reins from him, "I do not know how to ride a horse," I whisper.

He smiles, "do not worry, it is as easy as walking!" He says brightly. He then leans down and puts his hands together for me to use as a step onto the horse. I put one hand on his shoulder and the other on the horse and step up.

Once I get situated to the highly alien feeling of having a horse underneath me, I turn to mother and father.

"Do not worry, I will return," I say but some part of knows that I will not, and if I do return, I will not be the same.

The horse under me moves, startling me and ruining the moment. "Stupid horse." I shake my head.

Legolas and I ride away from my home and into the forest. I keep an iron grip on the reins because I'm terrified that I'm going to fall off, but at the same time I hold the reins away from, I do not know what to do with them.

I only concentrate on the movement of the horse, moving me from one side to the other. During the day's ride, we are quiet, the only sound is of the trees and there leaves rustling high above us. We are still in Mirkwood and the forest gets darker as we go, but I suspect the sun is still high up. My mind wanders to what could be hiding behind the tree and I shudder.

I decide to break the silence and my thoughts, "When will we be out of the forest*?" My voice bounces off our surroundings.

I stare at Legolas's back, he looks as comfortable as ever on the dreadful horse. I watch the horse's tail whip back and forth as we ride, "we should reach the edge by dusk, but we will rest in the safety of the woods*." 

I look around us warily, "it doesn't look very safe.*"  I watch his shoulders shake as he chuckles.

"It's not funny... Don't you think we could be eaten... By things*?"

He keeps laughing, "do you think I would let you be eaten? As long as we keep to the path we'll be fine. And if it makes you feel any better, I'll take the first watch*."