Chapter 19

Important authors note at the end

My head throbbed and bounced on a hard surface. I'm too nauseous to moan or move, and the bouncing running steps of the Uruk-Hai carrying me didn't help, so I settled for opening my eyes--only to snap them shut. The sun stung my eyes, basically blinding me.

A hopeless sense filled me, right down to my gut. As I fought down some nausea, I thought: well, at least I'm the only one taken.

"Merry! Merry!" I froze at the sound of Pippin's voice. I mentally cringed and muttered, "oh no, no, no..."

There was a pause, "Lumornel...?" Pippin's voice sounded concerned.

I tried speaking without vomiting up the contents of my stomach, "I'm all right."

"No, you're not. Merry's not alright either," Pippin sounded like he was ready to cry.

"It could be worse," Sam said, although he didn't sound very happy, "we could be dead."

"Don't give them any ideas," I mumbled under my breath.

I cautiously opened my eyes to the blinding light. I was being carried by an Uruk-Hai, surrounded by a horde of Uruk-Hai. Pippin and Merry were being carried a couple Uruks away. I couldn't see Sam. One look at Merry and I instantly began to worry. The poor hobbit had a big gash on his head, the blood congealing. As the hobbit began regaining consciousness, he started moaning.

Suddenly, the group of Uruk-Hai comes to a stop, several of them bumping into each other. It would have been funny if it was not for the fact that the Uruk that carried me was one of them. I grimaced in pain and tried not to vomit at the sudden movement. A nice thought came to me, if I did vomit, it would go on the Uruk and that might cheer up my mood a bit.

I think such strange thoughts.

Lucky enough, or unlucky--however you want to think it, the Uruk carrying me was turned slightly so I saw a large group of orcs emerge from behind a boulder. The one in the front moved forward reptilian like, "You're late. Our master grows impatient. He wants the Shire-rats now."

"There's been a change of plans," the lead Uruk growled, "you are taking the girl while we take the Shire-rats the long way 'round." My blood runs cold at this news.

After an excruciatingly long pause the cruel Uruk spoke again, "And I don't take order from Orc-maggots. Saruman will have his prize. We will deliver them."

Merry's moaning became slightly louder and I twisting my throbbing head around to look at the poor hobbit, "Merry! Merry! Wake up! My friend is sick. He needs water. Please!"

My gullible personality began to hope for a moment that we would finally get a little water to dampen our dry throats.

"Sick, is he? Give him some medicine, boys!" The dark servant of Saruman laughed loudly while another Uruk spilled a dark syrupy substance into Merry's mouth, the liquid spilling over his chin as Merry started choking and coughing.

"Stop it!" Pippin shouted while straining against the creature he was attached to.

"Can't take his draught!" The Uruk laughed loudly, getting others laughing too.

"Leave him alone!" Pippin and I shouted together.

The Uruk whipped around to face us, "Why? You both want some? Huh? Then keep your mouths shut!"

As the Uruk turns around Pippin calls out to Merry while I will myself to stay calm.

I try to tune everything out but it doesn't work. My efforts to stay calm become useless as I hear Merry say something about him just 'acting.' My blood temperature rises as I clench my fists. He shouldn't joke around about being seriously hurt!