Chapter 63

1) I didn't mean for this chapter to be so long

2) play the music when you see >>>>

--- --- ---

"Okay," I winced as I dropped the sweaty reins. "You were right." My back and legs, even my arms, protested as I swung a leg over the horse, then slipped down the hot, leathery saddle.

"That's what I said hours ago," Legolas stated, amused. Of course he had, he really did—warned me that staying on the horse for hours on end would leave me in pain. But being Lumornel—I decided to push the limits and prove him wrong. For a little while at least. After all, I am the Prophecy Written, I could go longer than normal people could. Until... I didn't.

I gripped his arm, steadying myself on a surface that didn't sway. "I didn't want to walk."

And Legolas didn't even try holding back a grin as he hooked my arm through his and handed me a canteen.

I took it but didn't drink. "So this is why we rotated between walking and riding on our journey to Mirkwood."

He nodded. "A lesson I learned long ago."

"I bet it's a funny story."

"Oh it is, but best saved for later."

I pouted, even tried my best at doe eyes—but it only made him grin. And shake his head.

"That embarrassing?" I asked while giving in and taking a drink of warm water.

"...Perhaps."

"Well, now I have to know!"

He shook his head, lips turned up. "I'll tell you one day."

"Today is 'one day.'"

"Another day."

"Today could be 'another day.'"

"Not today."

"We could pretend it's not today."

Legolas huffed. "You're relentless."

I grinned wide. "I know."

"So... could you at least give me a hint at what happened...?"

Legolas laughed, his eyes lighting up. "It involved one of my father's balls and a respectable elleth that I was forced to dance with."

I blinked. "How does that have to do with riding a horse for too long?"

"These events happened right after that fateful ride. I could barely walk, much less dance."

"That poor horse—and girl, I guess—they're probably still traumatized every time you come around."

"Absolutely."

"Positively."

"Most definitely."

I grinned, taking another swig from the canteen and handed it back to him. "Wait. Does your father have these 'balls' often?"

"Once and awhile, yes."

"I..." I looked away, my face already heating. "I don't know how to dance."

"Then I promise to teach you."

"You're going to have a hard time. I think I have two left feet."

"Surprisingly, I don't doubt that."

I rolled my eyes and adjusted my arm in his.

A thought occurred to me then.

"Mir El," I blurted, my hand fishing out the necklace from under my tunic. "Galadriel mentioned your mother gave it to you."