Chapter 20

^^^ The song has nothing to do with the chapter. I just really like the song. If ya wanna know it's Circles by Pierce the Veil. I seriously considered putting Bulletproof Love up instead, actually, it was attached but I put this one up instead. I know this kind of music isn't for everyone, but Vic's voice calms me. It's amazing. So is his hair.

Sorry for the long(ish) wait. Hopefully, this longer chapter (4450 words!) will make up for it! Also, almost all of the dialogue and events that happen in this chapter are from the book, so I hope that is a pleasant surprise. It's hard to actually find a fanfic that includes a lot from the book, not just the movies, right?

Beads of sweat trickle down my neck, making strands of hair stick to my skin. Long hours have passed since we started running. Gimli had stopped conversing with us long ago due to being exhausted, leaving me to my own thoughts (which at the moment is dangerous).

The weight of the Ring feels like a boulder hanging around my neck. But at the same time, the Ring gives me a sense of power, making me feel full of energy. I now understand why Lumornel feels so exhausted all the time, having all this energy in you wears you out.

Thoughts had started trickling into my mind like how water trickles down an icicle, making the icicle grow. These thoughts entered my mind silently, I barely registered them. That is until they built up.

My mind itched, these thoughts irritating me. I need to get home, protect my people. With my new found sense of power, they will follow me easily and any threat that comes to my beloved home I can destroy them with ease. They will cower under me.

I shake my head, these thoughts aren't me! We really must get to Sam soon.

I run a little faster to catch up with Aragorn, who is huffing and running clumsily. "Aragorn, how far away are we from them?"

Aragorn stops and I catch the thankful look in his eyes, he's thankful for the excuse the stop, however short.

Aragorn drops to the rocky terrain, not even wincing as a rock gets him in the thigh. He presses his ear to the ground. As he does this I catch my own breath as I look behind us for the lagging Gimli. I smirk, he's huffing and puffing while running on his stocky legs, he looks quite hilarious. And I don't plan on letting him get away with it.

"Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent," he rises quickly, setting his eyes upon the horizon as if he is searching for something.

He beckons for us to follow him, "hurry!" He sets off at a fast run.

I start running, but stop to call back to my dwarven friend, "Come on, Gimli!"

"Three days and nights pursuit. No food, no rest, no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell," Gimli's words comes in puffs as he struggles to keep up. I smirk again and begin running.

Soon enough we came to the East Wall of Rohan; which meant that we were no longer in Emyn Muil. The green plains of the Rohirrim stretched out before us, on and on it went until it passed out of our sight.

The tracks on the ground from the Uruk-Hai were clear in this area, anyone could see them. The ground was turned up and muddy, the footprints of the beasts clear.

Several yards ahead of me Aragorn stopped and kneeled. His fingers picked up something from the damp dirt, the sun glinted off of it.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall," He said, then looked to the horizon. I tried not to imagine what how this brooch could've come off... but then... One of the hobbits or Lumornel could've torn it off.

I ran up to him, "They may yet be alive."

Aragorn got up and glanced at us, "Less than a day ahead of us. Come." We started running, but then I hear Gimli fall and roll down a hill.