Chapter 36

I paced on the dirt floor, my shadow—cast from the flickering candle—followed my every move on the wooden wall.

My nerves were alive with anxiety, triggering my sweat glands on my hands and neck. Every noise—the wind howling outside the small home, Gimli's snoring, the scuttering of a squirrel on the roof set me looking over my shoulder. Although, there weren't many other noises, since every living thing—spare the wild animals who weren't in the way, was dead.

That thought wasn't encouraging.

How am I going to go about this?

I threw my hands in the air and muttered a curse.

Running on the courage that would no doubt leave me soon, I stalked into the main room where Aragorn slept. Him, Gimli, and Mithrandir shared the front room while Melnare and I shared a spare one. The hobbits decided to sleep with the men. Legolas had the only room with an exterior lock.

Gently nudging his shoulder, the ranger awoke with a jerk. His eyes searched for danger and his hand strayed to the knife I knew he kept under his makeshift pillow.

"Is everything all right?" His voice was still hoarse with sleep.

I nodded, shifting foot to foot. "I'm going to do it now. Confront Legolas, I mean."

He sat up on the dingy couch and ran a hand over his unshaven face. His brown eyes found mine. "You don't have to do this. I can be the one to talk to him."

"No," I shook my head. "I'm the only one that can possibly get through to him."

But could I?

No, stop. Just try.

He assessed me for a moment, as if making sure I wouldn't change my mind. Hurry up before I do.

"I'm going to do this whether or not you want me to," I blurted.

He saw the truth in my eyes and nodded. "Go, do so with caution. He can still hurt you." His hand traveled to his injured arm. My brows furrowed.

Aragorn stood and retrieved the key for not-Legolas's door.

"Be careful," he set his hand on my shoulder. "Middle-Earth needs you."

I smiled and place my own hand on his shoulder. "Middle-Earth needs you too."

Then I shook off his hand and began my dooming walk to Legolas's room.
**
The bronze key slid easily into the lock. The sound of the lock clicking into place seemed almost deafening.

With a final breath, I turned the knob.

I can do this. I can do this.

No, I will do this.

The door pushed open with barely a squeak. Cool air puffed at my skin and bright candle light greeted me eyes.

We had laid his prone body on the bed—so my eyes went there.

But the blankets were rumpled and the bed empty—

Legolas appeared in front of me as he pushed the door shut. His arm pinned me to it.

"Legolas—"

"My name is Morgalen," he snarled. The harsh elven words bounced off my face. I flinched.

Deciding to use our native language, I said, "no. Legolas is in there." Gathering my courage, I put my hands on his chest and gently pushed him back. "Let me talk to him."