Chapter 9

*Somewhat edited*

"If nothing delays us, we should reach Lothlórien tomorrow," Legolas states as I look around at our surroundings over his shoulders. I just woke up from a nap, I accidentally fell asleep against his back, the soft lull of the horse seems to make a good sedative.

The sun was high in the sky, but not yet noon. It's been six relaxing days since the anxiety attack, with nothing disturbing us except the breeze in the air. But I was always on edge, thinking that a pack of angry orcs would come and attack us.

I looked over at Duvaineth and she seemed extra on edge too.

"What will happen when I get to Lórien?" I honestly asked. Do I just sit there? Or will they acknowledge the strange thing that is happening to me? And if so, how will they acknowledge it?

"I don't yet know," Legolas whispered. Well, that's comforting.   

The constant breeze picked up my hair and in the distance, I heard howls.

"It's strange how much these lands have changed. You once could walk out here without a care," Legolas's voice carried sadness. 

"Maybe we'll be able to do that someday," I looked out across the land, "when all of this is over." I smiled, I just had a feeling that this is only the beginning, that whatever is about to happen, it's just about to be set in full swing. The air is different, tenser, as if even the earth can sense it.

I sighed and rested my head on Legolas's shoulder.

.........

That night we set up camp in the tall grass, again with no fire. With it being near the end of fall, the air got colder at night.

I sat down slowly and tensely, with my legs crossed. In this tall grass, I could imagine bugs everywhere, crawling on me. Those tiny legs, tickling my skin. I shivered and jumped up.

"Nope. Uh-uh. I can't do it," I pressed my lips into a straight line, shook my head, and shook my arms.

Beside me, Duvaineth and Legolas furrowed their eyebrows at me.

"What? I hate bugs... they could be crawling everywhere," I shivered again.

Legolas laughed, I light, small laugh. 

My breath caught, "It's not funny... how am I supposed to sleep?" I whined. 

Legolas tried to hide a chuckle, but I saw his shoulders shake. I glared at him.

"I didn't laugh!" He said with a smile.

I still glared.

He sighed but still smiled. "Here, take this and wrap it around you. I promise no bugs will eat you during the night," he handed me his cloak. Even though I still had mine, I took it gratefully and tried to ignore the comment about bugs eating me.

I tried to get settled for sleep, which is still way too hard, when I heard Duvaineth speak softly, "Legolas, you need sleep. I know that you've rested your mind while riding today, but you need actual sleep. You try and be the strong elf but you can't always stay up all night looking out for us, I'll take the watch tonight."

I heard Legolas hesitate, but he must've obliged because I heard him settle down on the ground next to me, I could practically hear his breathing next to me.

"Thank you, Duvaineth," he said with much care softly.

Duvaineth came into my field of vision and I saw her settle down in the grass, her ears perked and humming a song to herself.