Chapter 22

For the next hour, I sat, my muscles aching terribly. I kept one eye on my surroundings, waiting to see if anything sinister might slither its way towards me, and one eye on the cloaked figure half concealed in the shadows. The figure did not move, didn't even make a sound, so much so that I thought I might have been imagining the person.

The cells stank, either from bodily waste, mold, or rotting rodents. Probably all three. I stole a glance towards the corner. A single chamber pot gleamed in the dimmed light. Oh, I so needed to relieve myself, but not where all can see and hear.

The world seemed to press down on my shoulders heavily right then. My breathing quickened and a weight pushed down on my chest. I wanted to break into a fit of tears. But, no. I will not break do easily.

You're alright, Lumornel, you're alright. Everything will be fine, just you se--

"Are you just going to sit there and have a panic attack, or are you going to introduce yourself, child."

I squeaked at the smooth woman's voice. My body involuntarily shifted to face the cloaked figure sitting in the gloom. Smooth, dirty hands, that might have once been clean and pale, reached up from out of the dark blue cloak and gently pulled down the hood. A young woman's face met mine, strong and determined. But it also held sorrow and something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. A tangled mess of curls framed her face, the full length of the brown river concealed by the folds of the blue cloth. Delicately pointed ears poked through the matted hair.

And her eyes. Her eyes as brown as the soil held a depth and age that I ever so rarely saw. The only eyes that came close to these were Galadriel's. But these... so much emotion hardened over with timeless depth...

Who is this elleth?

Her finely shaped eyebrows rose and I heated with embarrassment as I realized I had been staring.

"I-I'm sorry... milady," I closed my mouth, then opened it again. Only to close it once more.

"Speak child. Although I have all the time in the world, I do not enjoy waiting." Those brown eyes stared me down with such intensity, I'm surprised I didn't combust into a pile of ashes.

My mouth went bone dry, "My n-name is... is..." I forgot my name. I forgot my name! Oh yeah, it's-- "Lumornel."

She bowed her head in acknowledgment, "I will give a name for a name. I was once called Melnárë; you may follow suit."

I spoke before I could think it through, "Melnárë? Does that not mean 'lovely flame' in the Quenya tongue?"

Her brown eyes narrowed, "Indeed, it does." Barely a pause. "And your title is 'tree shade' in Sindarin."

I slowly nod my head. Slow because of where this might be going, not at the pain in my neck.

"And if I am correct, a prophecy states that an elleth with a title having the meaning of 'tree-shade' will spring up out of the shadows and redeem us all, yes?"

If possible, my mouth becomes drier. "That is what the prophecy states."

"But you have the round ears of a mortal belonging to the the Race of Men." I couldn't tell what she was thinking. Her voice is so smooth and hard.

I grit my teeth, "Yes."

Melnárë hummed, "round mortal ears and a young human body. But the fire of your soul tells me otherwise. So does the ancient power surrounding you in great waves. Tell me, are you not the one the prophecy speaks of?"

I considered not answering, but by the words she spoke, she probably already knows the answer. "I am."

Melnárë clucked, "interesting."