Chapter 25

Hopepaw slipped out of the dirtplace as soon as the camp fell asleep. The forest seemed silent and the air was heavy. It felt as if the forest was holding its breath, as if it were on the edge of something powerful.

Above the tree branches, the half moon's light crept down towards the forest floor. The shadows were like claws that reached out for Hopepaw as she walked stealthily through the undergrowth. Her fur stood on end and she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched.

Putting one paw in front of the other, Hopepaw gradually made her way towards the river. TigerClan was waiting for her. She quickened her pace and weaved in between the thin trees. It wasn't long until she could hear the river.

The river shimmered under the moonlight and the sand appeared white. Hopepaw stepped into the water to discover that it was freezing cold. She waded in deeper until she had to start swimming. The pull of the current was strong, but Hopepaw fought it with expert strides.

She reached the opposite bank and pulled herself out. Her pelt was heavy and water-logged so she quickly shook out as much water as she could. Then she started to run through the forest towards TigerClan's camp. She followed the familiar worn-down trails until she could smell the strong TigerClan scents.

Hopepaw approached the camp to find Longtail guarding the entrance. He jumped when she appeared, but then he recognized her. "You surprised me, Hopepaw." Longtail huffed. "Next time, call out a warning. Tigerstar is waiting for you in the camp."

She nodded to him, "Thanks, Longtail." Then she slipped through the hole in the bramble wall.

Inside the camp, Hopepaw found half of the warriors awake and waiting for her. Tigerstar sat beneath the Highrock with Darkstripe, Whitestorm, and Blackfoot at his flanks. Sandstorm was the first to notice her. She raced toward her daughter, green eyes filled with joy.

"Hopepaw!" Sandstorm purred, "I've missed you!" She rubbed her cheek against Hopepaw's, but Hopepaw pulled away.

"I still haven't decided to forgive you," She whispered to her mother so that no one would overhear. Then she turned her bright green eyes to Tigerstar. "Hello, Tigerstar."

Tigerstar rose from his position to greet Hopepaw. His amber eyes gleamed in the moonlight and his black stripes glinted like razor-sharp claws. Darkstripe and the two advisors trailed behind him as if they were his guards.

Hopepaw could feel the eyes of the clan on her and she held her head high. When Tigerstar stood in front of her, she dipped her head out of respect. The dark brown tabby tom nodded to acknowledge her. Then he turned to face the gathered warriors.

"Tonight, Hopepaw will teach us the secrets of RiverClan's battle techniques," Tigerstar announced. "Then three days from now, the rest of TigerClan will learn as well. When the next full moon comes TigerClan will claim Fourtrees as our camp!"

The cheers from the warriors was deafening but Hopepaw didn't flinch. Her eyes surveyed the clan and she saw Thornclaw, Oakfur, Runningwind, Frostfur, Fawnstep, Brackenfur, and so many more. It's been so long since she's seen their faces. She spotted Bramblepaw among the crowd. Was he a warrior now?

"Alright, Hopepaw, teach us what you know," Tigerstar mewed and everyone's gaze found her.

She cleared her throat and stepped forward. Her russet coat gleamed in the moonlight and she stood confidently in front of her clanmates. Hopepaw realized that she probably smelled and looked like a RiverClan cat to them, and not just any cat, a warrior. She's lost all trace of kit-fluff and has grown into her strong legs.

"RiverClan uses many tactics, some are similar, but many are different. One of their most common techniques is to curl your tail around one of your hind legs. It's harder to balance, but once you learn how it's a powerful skill. It takes away a limb for your opponent to grab." Hopepaw demonstrated by curling her tail around her leg and balancing on her back legs.

Her paws returned to the ground and she thought for a moment. "But RiverClan has mastered a much more powerful way of fighting...they battle in the water."

"How do they swim and fight at the same time?" Jaggedtooth huffed in disbelief. "They're strange but they're not StarClan."

Hopepaw acknowledged Jaggedtooth with a nod. "These battle techniques you'll need to practice in the stream. Sometimes, RiverClan cats will hold their opponent under water until they surrender. They can also use the current to escape their opponent's grasp."

She demonstrated a few things to the best of her ability without water. "If you really want to fight fair with RiverClan, you will all need to learn how to swim."

"Swimming is for fish!" Mousefur argued.

Hopepaw pinned her ears. Why wouldn't they listen to her? Isn't this what Tigerstar wanted? "I suggest that you all practice swimming in your free time. Try some of the tactics that I've shared with you. When you're swimming, you have to let the water carry you, don't tense up because then you'll sink."

Tigerstar came to stand beside her. "I want you all to practice the moves that Hopepaw showed you. Well continue this until moonhigh."

Each cat paired up with another and Hopepaw felt a burst of pride watching them practice. They hadn't known any of this earlier. This was all because of her. She suddenly felt sick. This was all because of her.

"You're doing a good job, Hopepaw." Tigerstar meowed evenly. "Tell me, how is Crookedstar?"

"He thinks of me as a clanmate. I've gained their trust and they suspect nothing." Hopepaw hesitated, afraid to ask what she really wanted. "Tigerstar, when RiverClan is conquered, will anyone be executed?"

Tigerstar blinked in surprise but he quickly regained his composure. "Justice will be served where it's due." He cleared his throat and nonchalantly looked back towards the practicing warriors. "You're not having reservations about this, are you Hopepaw?"

"No!" Hopepaw answered quickly. She couldn't allow Tigerstar to think that about her. "No... I just, well, there's these two apprentices. They're the kits of Graystripe, but I was wondering if they could be spared. They would make wonderful additions to TigerClan."

Tigerstar studied her and narrowed his amber eyes. "Tell me more."

Hopepaw was surprised that she'd gotten this far. She turned to face Tigerstar and took a deep breath. "Stormpaw is brave, and very loyal. If we won his loyalty, he'd make a great asset. Featherpaw is kind and nurturing. I have no doubt in her mind that she would bring forth new life into TigerClan, good strong kits."

Tigerstar thought for a moment. "I'll consider your offer as long as you can guarantee their loyalty to TigerClan, especially Stormpaw."

"How do I do that, Tigerstar?" Hopepaw asked. What did he expect her to do?

An wicked smirk found Tigerstar's mouth. He turned his amber gaze on her. "Make him love you, Hopepaw. Love outweighs loyalty every time." Tigerstar stood up to check on his warriors and left Hopepaw speechless.

Was Tigerstar asking her to seduce Stormpaw?!

"Hopepaw..."

Her green eyes snapped towards the owner of the voice. It was Bramblepaw. He was bigger than the last time she saw him, more filled out and muscular. His muscles rippled underneath his dark brown tabby pelt and his amber eyes gleamed.

"Bramblepaw," Hopepaw purred, moving towards him.

"Not Bramblepaw, not anymore." He grinned at her. "I'm a warrior now. My name's Brambleclaw."

Hopepaw studied him in a new light. She could see a slight change in the way he carried himself, in a prouder manner. He stood taller and walked more confidently. Yes, she realized, it felt right that he was a warrior now.

"I'm happy for you, Brambleclaw," She giggled and rubbed her cheek against his.

Then she looked up at the moon which was now almost directly overhead. It was time for her to leave. She licked Brambleclaw's cheek and sighed.

"I must go now, but I'll see you at the Gathering." Hopepaw promised him and she slipped out of the camp. Her paws carried her through the forest back towards RiverClan.