4: Pickup and Departures

Taylor's POV

Today's the day we fly out to Maine. I've visited with the kids almost every day. We had to shop for them both for everything. Clothes, shoes, a few toys, a couple of movies, car seats, double stroller, hair ties for Phoenix, diapers, wipes, on the go changing stuff, suitcase, diaper bag, and stuffed animals. Phoenix got a kitty and Finley got a lion.

I scheduled a late afternoon flight around three. My mom had to drop out because she was needed at work. I load the car with three suitcases, two small, one big, car seats, diaper bag with snacks and the essentials, and obviously my finalized paper just in case.

I lock my apartment door which I recently moved in to the summer. Put on my sunglasses and put the key in the ignition.

I pull up to the orphanage. The kids ran out to me with Kayla following them.

"Hi," I say kneeling down to their level. I'm freakishly tall compared to toddlers.

"Miwss Taywlor," they scream.

"Hi, hi," I say hugging each of them.

"Hey," Kayla hugs me last.

"Hi, how are you?" I ask as we walk back inside.

"Good," she smiles at the kids.

"What grade are you going into again?" I ask.

"Junior year of high school," she says.

"Well you're almost done," I laugh a little.

"Yeah, finally," she laughs slightly.

"And you're going to California for a week?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's gonna be me, my parents and my younger sister and brother," she says.

"What about your older brother?" I ask.

"He's has to be back and ready for college plus he wants to spend time with his girlfriend," she says.

"Do you like her?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's nice, I don't know her that well. I mean they met at college and that was two years ago, I've only been with them a year," she answers as we step in the orphanage.

"Oh, well," I start before getting interrupted by Phoenix.

"Mwiss Taywlor," she screams.

"Yes," I answer turning my attention to her.

"We go go up up up in thwe Sky," she says moving her hands in the way the plane flys.

"Yes, we will," I smile at her innocence.

"Kaywla catwch meeee," Fin screams jumping off the bench that's just inside the front entrance.

"Finley, shh, shh, you need to keep quiet," Kayla says.

"Otay," he says quieter.

"Good job," Kayla say shaking her head, "bed time is even better," she whispers.

"Oh yay!" I say sarcastically, "alright, let's get going guys," I say.

"Go get your shoes guys," Kayla instructs setting Finley down.

They both run and bring back old beat up tennis shoes that velcro, they look a size to small for both.

Kayla begins to put a shoe on Phoenix.

"Ow, ow, ow Kaywla it hurwts," she screams bursting in to tears.

"Phoenix, are these the new shoes?" Kayla asks. And Phoenix nods, wrapping her arms around Kayla's neck.

"When this place gets a donation they need to check sizes,", Kayla sighs.

"So these were donated?" I ask.

"Yeah old stuff," Kayla says.

"Hey, I had to buy shoes for them for the shoot, they can just wear those," I say.

"Okay, what do you guys say to Miss Taylor?" Kayla asks.

"Thank yowu," they both say.

"You welcome, now let's get going," I say picking up Finley. Kayla walks out and straps Phoenix in the car seat behind the driver side. I put Fin in on the passenger side.

"Bye bye Kaywla," Fin waves.

"Bye bye," Phoenix says.

"Bye Fin, Bye Phoenix," Kayla says before shutting the door.

"Thank you," I say.

"Thank you, these two really don't get the chance to do like anything," Kayla says.

"Here have fun in California," I say handing her two hundred dollars.

"No, I'm good but I'll have fun," she says.

"Please take it, you deserve it. You come and take care of everything while miss M slacks off," I push it in her hands.

"No," she says again taking a small step back.

"Yes," I say putting it in her hand.

"Fine, only cause you're like my older sister," she gives in.

"Alright goodbye sis," I hug her tightly.

"Bye Taylor, good luck with them, also warm milk and music sometimes makes them go to sleep faster, thought I should tell ya," she whispers in my ear.

"Alright thanks. I will call you if I need anything," I say.

"Okay, get going," she says letting go.

"Love you bye," I say.

"Love you too," she says. Every time I spend time with the kids Kayla was there watching them. She's like a nanny for them. She's been there for them since the start.

••••

We get to the airport and head to the runway where there was a waiting plane. Well a private plane. I get Fin and Phoenix out and carry them to the plane. I go back and get the suitcases while security get the car seats. The car isn't mine actually I borrowed it from security.

"Thank you," I say once everything is on the plane. I take a seat next to the kids. They can both sit together in one seat.

We start moving to the runway and the kids look out the window in aw. The trees, farmland, houses, forests, everything was such a shock to them.

We started moving faster not before long we were in the air. When we left the ground Fin's face looked so funny and confused. Phoenix thought it was so cool as we went through the clouds. At first she thought it was cotton candy.

They took a small nap on the plane but mainly they colored.

A/n
Thanks for reading.

CQ:
Long plane rides OR short plane rides