16: Heaven and Hell

"Yeah." Sannah said, a wide smile breaking onto her face. "Yeah, if I'm invited."

Saint nodded and turned towards the table, looking at his screen for a few seconds before putting it in his pocket, taking the chang and the lighter from the arm of the sofa.

"Let's go."

"Hang on. I'll just..."

Sannah had a headrush as she stood up. She grabbed her coat from the corner where she had folded it away. She felt like she should have a purse too, money and a screen, but she had neither. It didn't matter. They were going out. Moths into the night. She couldn't see straight to fasten her coat, but her hands did it automatically without the help of her eyes.

She followed him out of the door, her heart beating therumtherumtherum with excitement. She almost fainted as they passed from the harsh light of the corridor into the gloomy street.

Outside! The air felt blissfully cool and alive on her face, the space expansive around her. A tremor ran through her body, heightening her tilt. The floor was far away, like she was ten metres tall.

They moved quickly, Saint just ahead of her, his hands thrust into his pockets and shoulders hunched. She didn't recognise any of the streets, but wasn't sure if this was because they were really unfamiliar or because of her tilted state. Everywhere seemed magical and golden under the electric lights, preternaturally still.

She wondered if she should have her head covered, hair disguised, in case of drones. But the wind was playing with her curls and the air felt so good around her face, so she didn't. She felt like she were still indoors, moving through the night. Not constricted and cramped, like in the small room, but comfortable. Safe. A feeling of home.

"You ok?" Saint turned towards her, still walking.

"Yep." She nodded. "It's so good to be out."

She didn't care where they were going, it was just good to be going somewhere.

"I've got to do something," Saint said. "But before..."

He pulled up short. He looked both ways, up and down the empty street, then turned down a narrow alleyway, a looming windowless building on one side, and a tall metal fence on the other. Big signs said

PRIVATE KEEP OUT
TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED

on the fence. Saint stopped by a metal door, and turned to look at Sannah.

"Wait here."

Within seconds, he had hauled himself over the fence. She heard his feet hit the ground as he jumped down on the other side, then the gate swung open. He motioned her in and shut the gate quickly behind them.

They were in a narrow concrete yard. A long low building stood in front of them, covered in graffiti. A wide, shuttered loading dock, and a smaller door next to it, were the only breaks in the concrete wall.

Saint led them to the small door and, taking a key from his pocket, undid a padlock.

"Is this your building?" Sannah asked.

"No," he replied, standing back so she could step inside. "I'm just using it."

He closed the door, plunging them into soupy, ultra-black darkness, then she heard a click and lights flickered on, moving sequentially down the long space. The room was huge—some sort of disused warehouse, Sannah guessed. There was dust everywhere, debris piled at random intervals against the walls.