53: Caged Lavy

"You think you can do this?" Gaen's voice was challenging.

"Numen, Gaen," Judit snapped. "You think you can do this?" She repeated, soft and supportive this time.

Jaddy nodded, his eyes on the floor. "I think so." He looked up, eyes scared, first at Judit then at Gaen. "It's just... What if her screen is locked? I don't know her password."

"If she's on it," Merle said, pursing her lips, "we've probably got like a minute before it switches itself off and you need the password to turn it on again. So we've just gotta be quick."

She lifted a hand to her face, bit her fingernail. Judit could see that her nails were muddy, black rimmed, in the firelight. They'd rushed into the blackhouse from the gardens to confer when the boys had a midday break from hunting.

"But what if she's not on it?" Jaddy looked doubtful.

"Stuck in that boring blackhouse all night? She's bound to be," Merle scoffed.

"He's right," Gaen said. We need a plan. In case she's not."

The four of them sat and thought, the only noise that of the birds in the byre. The chickens were clearly hurled out by the lavy, the caged interlopers in their space, and were vocally registering their distaste.

"So Jaddy can come to the door," Merle said eventually. "If she's not. And just say 'Is everything okay?'. That's the code word. Then we let her go back, leave it ten minutes, and try again."

"You gotta keep 'em both out." Jaddy looked panicked. "For as long as possible. This is gonna take me ages." He scanned Sannah's crumpled six-page instructions.

"I'll wait outside." Merle drummed her hands on her knees. "And if either of them come back, I'll say 'you gotta see Dean! You gotta see Goodmin' or whatever. Take 'em to the other one."

Gaen nodded. "You alright with that?" he asked Jaddy, more gently this time.

"I think so."

"Are you alright with it?" Merle looked at Gaen, doubtful. "I don't see why we can't just pretend."

"No. She'd be back in her blackhouse in no time if I didn't have convincing symptoms. It's gotta be real."

"I still don't know if it's a good idea." Merle pushed her hair off her face, leaving a streak of mud on her cheek. "It's gonna make getting away harder if you're incapacitated. And what if, like last time..." A deep furrow set in her brow as she stared at her brother.

"It won't be like last time." Gaen shook his head. "Agaricus is nothing like Pantherina. I'll just be ill for a bit. I'll get over it. And we've only gotta get on the boat, it doesn't matter if I'm spewing there. I promise to do it over the side."

"I dunno." Merle scowled, but her tone was defeated. "It's your choice, I suppose."

"Yes, it is," Gaen said decisively. He placed three large, pearly-white mushrooms on a flat stone by the fire. The four kids looked at them silently.

"Okay," Judit said finally, trying to prevent the fear from creeping into her voice. "So I'll see you all tonight."

***

It was different to last time. Gaen's face was white, but he didn't collapse. He was shaking, but his mouth didn't foam.

"Now?" Judit asked, wondering if this was a terrible idea after all, if agreeing to it was the worst mistake she'd ever made.

"Now," Gaen said, through shaky breaths. "I want her to see me throwing up."

Judit swallowed, her mouth dry, and headed for the door. She knocked on Merle and Jaddy's door first. They were there straight away. Merle gave her a silent nod. Jaddy came out. He looked terrified. Judit tried to give him a supportive smile, but wasn't sure if she could.