why don't you do it with me, i wanna do it with you

Castiel sits down with a grunt, adjusting his heart monitor. He runs a shaky hand through his brittle, grey hair. His grandchildren are sitting in a circle around him, waiting to hear a story.

There's Cassandra and her twin sister Deanna, both are eight (or possibly nine, Cas can't remember). Then there's Jody, who's six and a half (she tells everyone she meets). Of course, Kevin is here. He's twelve and insanely smart.

"Grandpa, are you going to tell us a story or what?" Jody asks, stuffing a whole cookie into her mouth.

Cas looks at their expectant faces and sighs. "Do you want to hear about... My first love?" He asks. It seemed to be fresh on his mind that morning. He'd had a dream about Dean last night.

"Yeah!" They all cheer - except for Kevin, who looks unamused. Cas understands.

"I was in high school," he begins.

~~~

Castiel is talented at a lot of things. School, cooking, he can even play a few instruments. He knows he wants to go to college after he graduates in two years. He's been in the local newspaper for his artwork. He has a 3.9 grade point average. The list goes on.

But sports, isn't on the list.

"Novak!" Coach Carver raves, rushing over to the boy that Castiel has just hit in the face with a basketball.

"I'm so sorry!" He says, helping lift the boy off the ground. "I didn't mean to!"

"Novak, just take this poor soul to the nurse."

"Yes, sir," he mumbles, more focused on the boys bleeding nose. When the two make it to the hallway, Castiel shows him how to hold his head back to slow the bleeding. This kid must be in his freshman year, Cas thought. "What's your name?"

"Sam," the boy replies casually. He didn't appear to be affected by the injury.

"I'm so sorry," Cas emphasizes.

"It's okay, Novak. I'm fine."

Castiel chuckles. "You can call me Cas."

"Okay."

They continue down the hall, passing several students on the way. One student in particular must have recognized Sam because he walks away from his group of friends to bombard him with questions. "Sam? Are you alright? Did you get into a fight? Who did this to you?"

"I'm fine, Dean, it was an accident," Sam waves the boy off and keeps walking.

"It looks bad."

"Dean, it's really not. Cas just has terrible aim," he says, gesturing towards the boy. "He's taking me to the nurse."

"You did this?" Dean says, giving Castiel a glare that made him uncomfortable.

"Yes, like he said, I have bad aim."

"What does that even mean?" Dean asks, raising his voice.

Cas shrinks and looks down. "We were playing basketball in gym, I tried passing the ball to Sam but I missed, it was totally my fault."

"Damn right it was your fault!"

Cas shrinks even more. He hates shouting. "Chill out, Dean, he apologized," Sam defends. "Besides, I'm fine. I don't even feel it."

"You hear that? You paralyzed my brother!"

"Dean!"

As they arrive at the nurses office, Cas holds the door for the two other boys. The nurse immediately spots Sam and begins cleaning up the blood from his face.