it wouldn't last too long, but it never does does it?

"It sounds a little sketchy to me," Anna says, taking another bite of pizza. She invited Cas over to her house after school, and he just finished explaining everything that happened at dinner with Dean.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's just hard to believe they suddenly changed their minds like that. People don't abandon their beliefs that easily."

"Then what are you suggesting?"

"They're aliens from outer space," she says with a sarcastic eye roll. "I don't know, Cas, it's just a little weird."

"I guess you're right. I don't know, I'm just too happy to care."

"So what's your plan, Castiel?"

"Plan?"

"Yeah. Are you just having fun with Dean? Do you want to be serious? Where are you guys headed?"

"I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have that conversation with Dean when he's ready, not with you."

"Oh come on, Cas. We're best friends, you can tell me anything. I just want you to open up for once."

"Fine. I don't know, I really like him. I feel like we're going somewhere, but I'm also still worried that I'm not good enough for him."

Anna sighs. "I get that feeling too sometimes. But I think Dean is really happy around you."

Cas smiles. "Okay, I've 'opened up'. Can I eat more pizza now?"

"I think you hang around me too much."

An hour later, the two are lying on Anna's couch scrolling through their phones. Suddenly, Anna comes across something that makes her gasp really loudly.

"Castiel," she says, putting her hand over her mouth dramatically. "Look at this."

Cas leans over, eyes squinting in confusion. He notices the app pulled up on Anna's phone as Instagram. There's a picture of Dean with Lucifer? Dean's kissing Lucifers cheek and the caption reads 'Babe' with a heart emoticon. The post is from last year. Castiel is very confused. "Anna, what is this?"

"I was scrolling through Dean's Instagram - you know, to stalk him - and this shows up. It's from like, a year ago. Did you know about this?"

Castiel shakes his head. "Did they go out?"

"That's what it looks like to me, but I don't know."

"I'm sure it's nothing. I'll call him."

"You should."

~~~

"Grandpa," Kevin interrupts.

"Yes?" Castiel says, taken slightly aback.

"What's an Instagram?"

"It's a social media app for old smartphones," Cas explains, "where you post pictures along with a caption."

Kevin makes an 'o' with his lips and nods, signalling for Castiel to continue with the story.

~~~

Cas pulls out his phone and calls Dean's number. "Hey, angel," he greets,  sending a deep red blush across Cas' cheeks and down to his neck.

"Hello, Dean."

"What's up"

"I'm just hanging out with Anna. Hey, by the way, she was stalking your Instagram and there's a picture with you and my brother and it looks kind of intimate."

"Your brother? I just met your brothers for the first time last night."

"No, not them. Lucifer."

Dean coughs uncomfortably. "I dated a Lucifer last year, but it didn't last long. Was he... Your brother?"

"It appears so."

"Shit, Cas, I'm sorry. I had no idea, really."

"It's fine, Dean."

"You're not mad?"

"I'm a little grossed out, but not mad. You didn't know."

Dean smiles, grateful for his boyfriends understanding. "How's your day been?"

Dean and Castiel talk endlessly for what seems like hours when he finally realizes the time. Luckily, he makes it home after everyone in the house has gone to bed. They most likely didn't notice his absence or thought little of it.

As Castiel lies in bed awake, he allows his mind to wander. He thinks about the picture on Dean's social media page. Dean looked really happy in it, and liked the photo enough to share it. He called Lucifer babe. That was Castiel's nickname.

Although Lucifer was a trouble maker,  everyone has always seemed to prefer him over Castiel. He was always funnier and more sociable. Probably better looking, too. In fact, Cas can't recall the last time anyone has chosen him over one of his brothers. When he started dating Dean, he thought maybe that had changed, but now Cas isn't so sure.

The next day, Cas finds Dean before school starts. Dean smiles at him but as soon as Cas walks up, Dean notices his somber mood. "You okay, Cas?" Is the first thing Dean says.

Castiel smiles weakly. "Can we talk in private?"

Dean's worry manifests on his face as he follows his boyfriend into an empty hallway. "What's wrong?"

"I want to know more about you and Lucifer?"

Dean shrinks, but complies. "Okay."

"Did you love him?"

"Love him?! No."

Castiel bites his lip. "Did you like him more than you like me?"

This catches Dean by surprise. He smiles shyly at Castiel. "Cas, I don't think I've liked anyone as much as I like you."

Cas brings his eyes up, and the ocean collides with a field of green. "Really?"

Rather than answering in words, Dean dips down and presses his lips gently to Castiel's in a sweet, passionate kiss, wrapping his arms firmly around the smaller boys waist. Castiel wraps his hand around Dean's neck to bring him closer, softly tugging at Dean's hair.

It was perfect until the bell rings, bringing them back to reality.