so please, oh please don't break my heart

"Dean, can you come over?" Castiel says somberly over the phone.

"I'm on my way," Dean replies, and shuffling can be heard in the background. "What's up? Are you okay?"

"Triton died."

"Who?"

"My fish!"

"Already?"

"Dean!"

"Right, sorry, I'm almost there." Dean hangs up and Cas sniffles. He'd only had the carnival fish for a week and had grown attached to it.

Dean shows up not long later. Castiel opens the door and immediately pulls him into a restraining hug. Dean rubs his back soothingly.

"Have you already-" Dean begins, but Cas cuts him off.

"No." He sniffles again. "Would you do it? I don't think I can watch."

Dean kisses his forehead. "Sure, angel."

Castiel takes his hand and leads him upstairs to his room, where the dead goldfish is in a small tank. Dean is about to pick up the tank but Cas stops him. "Wait! I think we should say a few final words, first."

Dean smiles sadly at his boyfriend. "Okay."

Cas coughs. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."

"Was that Shakespeare?"

"He was a beautiful fish," Castiel continues, ignoring Dean's accusation - though yes, he did just quote Shakespeare. "Triton was as sweet as a delicate flower and as kind as a loving mother. He will be forever missed." Dean places a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Deep in earth my love is lying, and I must weep alone."

"Was that Poe?"

"Yes."

"Oh. Are you ready?"

Cas nods and watches Dean take the fish bowl into the bathroom. He hears the toilet flush and feels a slight twinge of loss. Dean walks in and hugs Castiel from behind, leaving light kisses on his neck and shoulder. "You going to be okay?" He asks.

"Yeah. Thank you for coming."

"Wouldn't miss it."

"So what do you want to do now?" Cas asks, turning around in Dean's arms to face him.

"I dunno. We could watch a movie?"

"Okay. My movies are in the basement."

The two walk to Castiel's basement where there are three bookshelves full of movies and a large flat screen television.

"Where are your folks?"

"Work."

"What about your brothers?"

"Balthazar is on a date with his girlfriend and Gabe is probably hiding in the bushes outside to scare people when they walk by. It's a hobby of his."

Suddenly the light shines on Dean's face in a way that Cas can see a yellow bruise forming on his jaw. "Dean," he says, pressing his fingers to it lightly.