i knew i shouldn't have taken you to the prom

The car is silent as Charlie drives them to her house in the early night. Cas has fallen asleep and Dean is staring out the window, replaying the events of the prom in his head. Anna is watching Charlie carefully from the passenger seat. Nobody knows what to say.

When they arrive, Dean carries Castiel bridal style and lays him down gently on Charlie's couch. Cas isn't quite asleep, he can still hear everything that's going on around him but he's too tired to care.

"You guys hungry?" Charlie asks, her voice only slightly above a whisper to avoid startling Castiel.

"A little," Anna says. Dean stays silent.

Cas hears footsteps walking away, then feels Dean sitting next to him. He runs his fingers through Cas' hair, and Castiel must suppress a satisfied sigh.

"I'm so sorry," Dean whispers so quietly Cas can barely hear him. He remains unresponsive, still pretending to be asleep, though he isn't sure why. "I'll make it up to you. I promise." Dean presses a barely-there kiss to Cas' forehead before standing up and walking away. Castiel falls asleep, still in his tuxedo.

He wakes up with his shoes off and a blanket tucked under his chin, sweating profusely. The room is dark and for a moment, he panics, not sure where he is. Then he hears soft snores from below him and is brought back to reality. He's at Charlie's house; safe.

Castiel looks down to find Dean on the floor, lying on his back. Did Castiel kick him off the couch again or did Dean have no where else to sleep? Either explanation made Cas feel guilty.

Castiel's stomach growls rather loudly, alerting him to find food immediately. He gets up quietly and carefully tip toes to the kitchen. He doesn't turn the light on, with fear of waking up Dean.

The clock on the stove reads 3:41. There's no way he's falling back asleep. He rummages through the fridge, finding a yogurt and Caprisun. Locating a spoon is the difficult part. Cas must open each drawer with precision, to make the least noise possible.

Castiel is about to open the last drawer - this one has to be it - when his socks fail him and he slips to the floor with a loud thud. On top of that, the silverware drawer flies open and almost falls to the floor Cas.

Rushed footsteps could be heard before the kitchen light bursts to life. "Cas?"

"Ow," Castiel groans in reply.

Dean walks over and has to control a widening grin. He helps Castiel up to his feet and sneaks a kiss on the cheek, causing Cas' face to burn bright red. "You okay?"

The ringing in Cas' ears becomes loud and obnoxious, and he now has a headache. "Yeah," he says, massaging his temples.

Dean looks over at the clock on the stove. "Why are you up so early?"

"I got hungry."

Dean nods and walks back into the living room. When Cas joins him, he finds the television turned on to an old cartoon he used to watch as a kid - The Road Runner - and Dean sitting up right on the couch, sipping from a can.

Castiel sits next to him and Dean instinctively wraps his arm around the boys shoulders. The air is filled with the light noise from the television and Castiel's not-so-light sipping of the aforementioned Caprisun.

After only one episode of the show, Cas can feel Dean's breathing even out, and deduces that his boyfriend is asleep. He lays Dean down on his back and cuddles up to his side, absentmindedly tracing patterns on his chest.

It's only when the sun starts filtering through the windows into the living room that Castiel begins to drift off; though he is awoken almost instantly by a disturbance in Dean's sleep. Dean's breathing picks up and he starts trembling slightly beneath Castiel's grip.