when i saw you, i knew you were the one

~~~

"You what!!" Cas' friend, Anna, screeches from the back of the cafeteria where they sat along with four other friends. The others weren't paying much attention until Anna screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Shh! Anna, it was just one date. We're not technically a thing yet."

"Yet!!"

"Anna!"

"Sorry, sorry. I just never thought you were that rebellious. Tell me all about it! I want every detail."

Castiel looks at the other people at their table until they decide to continue with their previous conversation. He turns back to Anna. "We just ate dinner and then stargazed. That's it."

"Don't be like that, Cas."

"Like what?"

"Don't pretend it meant nothing to you. I know you, Castiel. I know that look in your eyes."

Castiel looks down at his tray, blushing. "What do you want me to say?"

Anna sighs. "You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. All I'm going to say is, you're not my only friend, Cas. Dean and I talk as well." She winks before getting up to throw the rest of her school lunch in the trash.

Castiel sits for a second longer before following her lead and walking to his next class.

Cas spends the rest of the day thinking about Dean. The more he thought about him, the more he wished he'd never agreed to go out with him. He told this to Anna via text at the end of the day, then decides to call her.

"Cassie? What's up? You regret going out with Dean already?" She says without a proper greeting.

"No, that's not what I meant. I just mean... If he tells anybody about the date, all it'll do is ruin his reputation. I mean, he's fricken hot and I'm just average. He's so popular and I'm just a nobody. He's-"

"Cas, you idiot," Anna says with an amused chuckle. "I sit next to Dean in study hall, remember? He told us about you. He didn't give away everything of course, but he said a lot more than you did."

"He did?"

"Yes! And he looked so proud of himself too. I really shouldn't say anything, but he told me about his plan for your next date! Cassie, it's so cute! You're going to love it!"

"He wants to go on another date?"

"Yes, it's so cute. I had no idea he was such a romantic."

Cas is silent for a moment. "I don't know. I really want to but..."

"But what? Don't go on again about this low self confidence crap. He obviously likes you and you obviously like him."

Castiel blushes and smiles at his ceiling. "Alright, I trust you. I'll go on another date with him."

Anna squeals loudly on the other side of the phone. "I've gotta go now. I have a test this Friday."

"Okay. Thanks for the advice, Anna."

"Anytime."

She hangs up without a goodbye, leaving Cas a sappy mess on his bed. Dean Winchester wants to keep going. out with him. That's enough to make him forget about his parents for a few minutes.

"Cas, dinner," Gabriel says, placing a light knock on his door.

Castiel stands up from his desk and wobbles across the dim hallway to the dining room. "Hey, Cas," his father greets him.

"Castiel," Cas' mother says calmly, "studying again?"

Cas yawns tiredly. "Yeah."

"Why don't you make a plate and tell us about it at the table."

Cas nods and makes himself a dinner plate before sitting at his usual spot at the dinner table. His father says grace before they begin gobbling down their meal.

"So, what are you studying for, Castiel?" Cas' mother asks, looking at him expectantly.

"An Algebra 2 test next week," he answers robotically.

Castiel wants nothing more than to be able to tell his whole family about Dean; however, he knows that would be a mistake. He's thought about coming out before - he's even tried to once - but still the only one in his family to know about his sexuality is Gabriel. It's not like Castiel thinks his parents would do anything harsh or irrational, he knows they will still love him, he just isn't sure what they'd think. His family is super religious.

Gabe found out by accident one day when Castiel was going out with Meg in middle school. One night after one of their dates, he found Cas crying in his room. At first, he thought Meg had hurt his Cassie and was ready to fight her. But then, Castiel explained that he didn't want to be with Meg.

In fact, he'd never even liked Meg. He told Gabriel that he'd rather date a boy in his grade named Bennie. Gabriel understood, telling Cas that he accepted him and that he would always be there for his brother. He told Castiel that he didn't have to tell their parents until he was ready.

Cas was forever grateful for Gabe's acceptance.

"Anything interesting happen at school?" Their dad asks, pulling Castiel from his rapid thoughts.

"Some freshman in my advanced art class sipped the paint thinner and had to go to the hospital," Balthazar, Cas' other older brother answers.

Nobody says anything. Cas wasn't sure if it was because they were thinking about what Balthazar said, or if no one had even cared enough to listen. He assumed the latter.

Castiel allows his mind to wander back to Dean and what he could possibly be planning for their next date. After dinner, Cas decides to text Dean.

It's the typical movie scene: Cas is in his pajamas on his bed with the lights out, staring at his phone and waiting for a response. It's at least three minutes before he receives a text from Dean, saying "hey" in all lowercase with a winky face.

Cas' heart flutters before he starts panicking, unsure of how to respond. He eventually decides on a simple "What's up". That's how people text, right? He thinks.

Castiel has never been much of a texter.

[Dean]: nothing really. miss you :)

[Cas]: I miss you too, Dean

[Dean]: date this friday night?

[Cas]: I'd love that. What time?

[Dean]: ride with me after school?

[Cas]: Okay, see you then!

[Dean]: see ya

Cas fell asleep with a smile on his face for the third time that week.

~~~

"Sorry to interrupt, but it's time for your medicine dad," Castiel's daughter, Claire, informs.

Cas smiles at her and nods his head while his grandchildren simultaneously "aw" in dissatisfaction.