i wish i woulda known then what i know now

~~~

The next four dates were just as exhilarating as the first few. Dean asked Cas to be his exclusive boyfriend on their third date, to which Castiel happily agreed.

Today is the day Castiel plans to tell him parents about his new relationship. He's planned out every possible scenario in his head, making sure to have every argument memorized. The entire day he's been a nervous wreck, practically sick with anxiety.

He even practiced his speech in front of his friends at lunch - four times. Every time he revises, he feels a little more confident. Until, of course, he tells his mom and dad to join him in the living room after dinner.

There's no going back now, Cas thinks. "Mom. Dad. Um, you might wanna sit?"

"Is something wrong, Castiel?" His mother asks.

"No. I just wanted to tell you guys something..."

Just then, Balthazar comes running down the stairs. "WHERE ARE THE BANDAIDS? I NEED A BANDAID IT'S AN EMERGENCY THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!"

"Balthazar, honey, calm down. The bandaids are in the drawer next to the stove," she says calmly.

Castiel gives his brother a death glare until he goes running back upstairs with the box of bandaids and a roll of gauze. He always has been melodramatic, Cas thinks.

"Anyways, Cas, what were you trying to say?" Castiel's father asks, sounding slightly concerned.

"Um, I-I wanted to say... I'm going out with someone. Exclusively. I-"

Cas' mother gasps in excitement. "My baby boy! You have a girlfriend? You have to tell me all about her!" She gasps again, as if realizing something. "Do you want us to meet her? Is that what this is about?"

"Mom, no, actually... Um..."

"Spit it out, son," his father pries.

"His name is Dean." Both of his parents are completely silent, and Cas isn't sure if they're even breathing. "He's in my grade; he gets As and Bs; he has a brother; he works on cars at a garage-"

"Stop. Just stop," Castiel's mother say. Cas obeys, pinching himself through his sleeves to keep himself focused.

Cas' father clears his throat. "Does Dean make you happy?"

"Yes, sir. Very much, actually."

"How long have you, uh, been going out?" Castiel can tell his father is struggling, but is relieved he's at least trying to understand.

"About a month. We've been on six dates in total."

"I need to meet this boy. You will not be seeing him any longer until I've had a proper chat with him," his mother finally speaks.

Castiel is overjoyed at his mothers compliance. "Yes, ma'am."

"Invite him to dinner tomorrow."

"Thank you, mom. Thanks, dad."

Neither of them say anything as Castiel rushes up the stairs, releasing a huge breath. Gabriel meets him at the end of the hall, wide eyed. "I can't believe you just did that."

"I can't either. They're so calm about it. Neither of them yelled, mom didn't even stand up!"

"I know, I saw everything from up here. So I finally get to meet him tomorrow?" Gabe asks with an excited smile.

"Yes. And I swear to God if you embarrass me, so help me or I will tell mom you've been printing out fake report cards since freshman year!"

Gabe snickers, seeming unfazed by the threat. "Goodnight, Cas."