the way you looked at me, when it'd only just begun

"Can you keep telling the story now?" Jody asks.

Cas shakes his head. "It's time for lunch!"

"Well you can keep telling while we eat, right?" Deanna asks innocently.

Castiel can't say no to her cuteness. He was always the cool parent with his two kids, Ben and Claire. The twins belong to Claire and her wife, Alex. Kevin and Jody are Ben's biological kids.

"Sure thing, pumpkin."

~~~

Castiel wakes up on Friday morning by throwing up on his hardwood floor. He groans, getting up and going to the bathroom. He takes some pills out of the medicine cabinet before checking the time: 4:12 am. Cas groans again, knowing he'll have to stay home from school today.

He cleans up his mess from the bedroom floor and lies back down in bed, making sure the trashcan is easily accessible. At 8 o'clock he sends Anna a text saying that he won't be in class today.

Anna texts him back almost immediately, wishing him good health and telling him she'll catch him up.

"Cas, school," Gabriel says, leaving a light knock on the door.

"I'm sick!" He says. Or at least, tries to say. It comes out as more of a strained croak followed by a loud coughing fit.

Gabriel walks into Castiel's room to make sure he's not faking. "Jesus, Cas, you look terrible."

"Thanks, Gabe," he replies sarcastically. "I'm staying home today."

"Okay. I'll stay too, to watch over you."

"Thank you, brother."

Gabe gives Castiel a quick smile before closing his door and walking away. He comes back a few minutes later with dry cereal and a bottle of water. "Mom says to get better soon. I say the longer you stay sick, the more school I get to skip. But if you get me sick, I will end you."

Castiel doesn't have time to retort as Gabriel closes his door and walks away. His head starts to hurt, so he pulls the blanket over his head to block out sunlight.

That's the moment he remembers why today is possibly the worst day ever for his immune system to betray him. His date with Dean is today. He's supposed to get in his car after school to go on the date that Anna was gushing over.

He picks up his phone but has to immediately turn the brightness all the way down to avoid puking up his cereal. Castiel is about to text Dean, but opens his messages to realize Dean has beaten him to it.

[Dean]: anna says you're sick. you okay?

[Cas]: I think it's just a cold.

[Dean]: hope it gets better

[Cas]: Thanks :)

[Dean]: text me later, okay?

[Cas]: I will.

Castiel falls asleep with his phone still on. When he wakes up, it's because Gabriel is putting a cold washcloth on his forehead. "Gabe?"

"I took your temperature while you were sleeping and you had a fever so Google said this would help."

Cas starts coughing aggressively, earning a worried look from his brother. "Get some sleep, okay?"

Castiel sniffles, his nose too stuffed to breathe from. "I just woke up. I need to do something."

"No, you need to rest until this passes."