Chapter One: The Quest

It had been years since Tezaro stepped into this room, and he did not want to be here. Nothing good ever came of it.

The view from the Steward of Armindia's spacious private chamber was endless. Wide arching windows adorned the entire back wall inviting in the night sky with its countless stars. The city far beneath was lost to darkness and slumber.

The Steward sat in a cushioned carved wooden chair behind a massive desk, meticulously writing on parchment. Glowstones from the walls illuminated the room as the former Protector of Armindia walked across the chamber.

Tezaro didn't care to wait for the Steward to finish nor bothered with a bow. After everything that had happened, he didn't give a damn about formalities. "Why am I here?"

The former Protector gazed straight at Anthonias in his official robes, blue and gold trimmed with intricate runes. His nearly white hair crowned a square face that showed the heavy imprinted lines of years of service and worry.

Unperturbed by abrupt Tezaro's entrance, Anthonias continued writing his thought before lowering his quill, placing the parchment to the side and finally raised his gaze to Tezaro, who stood with crossed arms. A frown further deepened his creases as he noted his guest.

"Why are you dressed like that? Where is your armor?" Anthonias gave an annoyed harrumph studying him openly.

"Why would I wear it?" Tezaro leaned over the massive desk that separated them, bracing his hands along the edge. "You better not be wasting my time." His stare was intense, frigid.

Refusing to be intimidated by the broken man before him, the Steward would not be dissuade however unwilling he was to meet his glare. "You are the most skilled warrior in Armindia and beyond. You are the general of the elite Armindian guard, of course---"

Tezaro brusquely silenced him. "I am no longer a knight of Armindia. I renounced my titles. You know that." His gaze continued to bore down on Anthonias.

"No, I do not accept that. I know that you are the most loyal and devoted servant to the throne of Armindia, to its people." The Steward's voice pleaded. He believed in Tezaro as much as he believed in guarding the throne. He had devoted his entire life to that belief and supported Tezaro's rise through the ranks. They had worked together tirelessly protecting it and maintaining order for years.

"It is an empty throne, Anthonias." There was no attempt to hide his scorn and he refused to use Anthonias' given title as Steward.

"And what of its people? You are the Protector of the Throne. You are knight-born. It has always been your destiny to---"

"Things change. Find another Protector." His voice could not hide his bitterness, but none knew the true cause behind it. Two years ago he had renounced all connections to his rank. It meant nothing to him.

Anthonias heard the pain behind the bitterness. "You still feel responsible?"

Tezaro remained silent and pushed himself off the desk, turning. He clenched his hands into fists until his knuckles turned white from the strain. "I'm leaving."

He waited until Tezaro had reached the door before he spoke, "I know where you can find the ones responsible for your brother's death." That froze the former Protector.

"I need you, Tezaro. Armindia needs you to protect it from our enemies. Our way of life is changing. Our borders are being attacked and there is turmoil from within. Death is quickly surrounding the kingdom."

If pleading would not sway him then perhaps guilt would work. "Would you turn your back on us, as you turned your back on your brother?" It had come to that.

A dagger vibrated, lodged into the wood by the Steward's temple. He turned to it slowly, admiring the deathly skill. The movement had been so fast and fluid that the Steward hadn't had time to react. There was no question the dagger was deeply embedded.

He knew the turn of his head could have proven fatal. More importantly, he also knew that it had not been a miss but an intentional warning, yet he persisted. "See? You are the one we need."

"You go too far, old man." The anger that rumbled in Tezaro's chest was deadly. He stalked back to the desk like a panther intent on its prey. "I have given everything to Armindia. Everything!" His raged filled the room with a presence.

"I do not want anything else to do with it. I have nothing left to give." Tezaro's shoulders slumped slightly as he realized the truth. "And you are toying with me." He stretched out his arm and retrieved the elegantly carved dagger. Only the opal bottom of the hilt was visible as he placed it in its sheath.

"But can you let this opportunity slip through your fingers?" Steward Anthonias held his breath, waiting. Silence.

Tezaro exhaled in defeat. "What do I have to do?"

The Steward did not gloat; he could not afford wasted time anymore. "You must travel to the Earth realm and retrieve the Key."

"You want me to perform a dangerous Crossing for a rusty key? Find someone else." He made an irritated scoff and walked away.

"It is you who is toying with me." Anthonias rose with a cunning smile. "You know perfectly well what key I speak of. There is no one else to which I could entrust such an important quest."

Tezaro's curiosity was piqued. He'd never expected the prophecy to be revealed within his lifetime. He sat on the edge of the desk swinging his leg almost carelessly, questions in hand. "How can you be certain the Key is on Earth? And why has the Key after all these years now chosen to reveal itself?"

"We only do the bidding of the Life Tree." His voice was reverent.

"You do not know, huh?" It felt good to have an upper hand on the untarnished Steward.

Anthonias huffed, flustered. "The Life Tree has as many mysteries as leaves." Rounding the desk he stood before Tezaro. "Take these crystal shards."

Tezaro studied the pale lilac hued crystal leaves that were no bigger than a child's finger. "They will guide you to the Key." Tezaro wrapped the two shards in a wide leather strap and tied it securely before placing it in one of his hidden pockets.

"I must warn you that our spies have reported that the Kingdom of Mithoran knows the Key is on Earth. Perhaps through the sorceress Mimika as all magic is connected. They will surely be seeking for it as well. You must find it first. Return it to its rightful place in Armindia. Protect it and you save us all." Anothonias' tone was grave.

Tezaro stood to face him directly. "For your sake, Anthonias, you better have the information I want. I'm not interested in the Key." His face was set in a grim expression as he walked to the door.

The Steward's eyes widened with shock. "You're threatening me? The Supreme Consul, the Steward of Armindia?"

He stopped. "No. I'm threatening you, Anthonias, the man." Tezaro opened the door, stepping out. "I care nothing for your titles." He tossed the comment with genuine disgust.

Anthonias approached him and placed a withered hand on the door. "You are full of vengeance, Tezaro. You are not the man I knew a few years ago. Your vision is clouded." Concern was written plain on his face.

"On the contrary," Tezaro's eyes narrowed, "I've never seen clearer."

Tezaro closed the door to his past as easily as he closed the door behind him.