Chapter Fourteen: The Murmurwoods

Aurora followed Lucas' stare back to the distant dunes shrouded in crimson.

Lucas gave more clicking commands and Munbata switched directions. The creature's strides, far superior than most mounts, made short distance of the woods in little time.

Lucas leaned in close to her ear, shielding her with his body. "We will head into the Murmurwoods. We can lose them there and enter the Silent Circle if necessary."

She faced forward, silently urging Munbata faster, though she knew not what to expect once they entered the woods. The outlining trees stood like guards upon a fortress wall in vigilance, with each tree wider and taller than the one before.

The dotted trees that passed them soon multiplied in numbers. They were no longer on the edge of the forest, but safely within it. Once fully enveloped by the forest, they deviated from the main road.

Branches whirled high above them as trunks thickened and the sky became obstructed with shields of dense vegetation. Before Aurora's eyes, Munbata's skin began to undergo a change, drawing in the brilliant hues of green of the forest that engulfed them.

Scattered fingers of light shone through the nearly impenetrable green clouds of foliage. The thin streaks of light danced across the carpeted forest floor with the wind.

It was impossible for Aurora to make any sense of what direction they were traveling after all the twists and turns that they had taken. They roamed the forest until Lucas deemed it was time to a halt.

"Is it safe?" She uttered cautiously, wind rustled the leaves high on the branches stealing her voice. Lucas nodded, gave another clicking command as Munbata lowered and he dismounted.

"We will allow Munbata to rest a while." He reached out to Aurora and lowered her to the ground gently. Munbata then stood on his hind legs braced against a tree and happily feasted on the leaves and twigs of low lying limbs.

When Lucas spoke she was certain that she heard a distant echo. She tilted her head to listen closely to the forest sounds hoping she could identify those that didn't belong.

"You do not have to lower your voice. The trees already have your voice and will mimic you. The swaying of the trees and the rustling of the leaves will join with the countless other voices forming interesting conversations for anyone who will stop and listen." He sat on a mossy root and gestured for her to sit.

Aurora could not help notice that his eyes seemed to belong to the forest. "How is that possible?"

The treetops were out of sight, and when her gaze came down she noticed the trunks were almost the size of a small house. She sat with her legs crossed beside him.

"The forest is ancient. For anyone who does not know the Murmurwoods, it is quite easy to get lost. Some have never been seen again, or so the stories go.

"The trees manipulate voices; they talk. They cannot be trusted." He crossed his ankles and looked up at the interlacing limbs from tree to tree that embraced each other.

Aurora followed his gaze. Braided vines as numerous as leaves draped from unknown heights. "Is it an evil place?" Something instinctive compelled her to whisper.

He smiled at her like one who knows a treasured secret. "On the contrary, pretty one; it is a safe place for those who wish to remain hidden." He bumped her shoulder. "Like us."

"How long are we going to stay still? I mean, where are we going? Is this the way to Mithoran?" She stood and began pacing.

Lucas ignored their surroundings and side stepped a few of her questions.