Chapter Twenty-Five: Apprentice

Owen approached Aurora and whispered her name until she stirred, sitting upright in a tangled mess of blankets. She blinked at Owen's shadowy outline and memory dawned in her eyes.

In a series of low voiced grunts, she untangled her blanketed legs while staying quiet so as not to disturb Eri. He took note of her attempt to suppress a yawn while running her fingers through her hair to braid it once again. Barely awake, she walked toward Owen as he sat on a large root.

The wind stirred the branches and the chattering of the swaying leaves turned to tickled laughter. She turned her gaze to the forest, and Owen's gaze dissected her.

He reached out with his power and examined her aura. Magic mingled with fear. Her texture was rough and uneven; as untested as her power. But it was there.

Looking at her no one would see the extraordinary power within someone so young. Although, perhaps girl was not the right term to describe her. She was about his sister's age as far as he could tell.

She bit her lip before sitting across from him. It was simple enough for him to read her. Thoughts of her captured friend clearly ran free in her mind.

Owen continued to study her openly as she shifted. Clearing her throat she faced him, "So what do we do now?"

His lips twitched into a smirk. "We sit and watch."

She remained silent.

He attempted to ease her nerves and played with a branch. "You need not be a mute. Talking helps pass the time."

She gave him a weak smile. "I don't know what to talk about." She hugged her knees then rocked back and forth on her heels.

Owen clasped his hands together. "Feel free to ask me anything. I'll do my best to answer." He offered what he hoped was an encouraging smile.

A long tress of hair glided across her face and she pulled it back before saying, "You knew Larn."

Of all the things she could have chosen, the topic of Larn was the least he had expected and the one he could not fully answer. "Yes, I knew Larn. He was very much like Tezaro. But if you wish to know more then you will have to ask Tezaro." He didn't volunteer any more information.

She took a moment and with a steady voice said, "You're a good friend to him."

He narrowed his eyes at her, "That was a test of some sort. I have not been tested since I was a young apprentice. By your smile I take it I passed. I'm glad." He chuckled lightly, shaking his head with disbelief.

"Eri told me you've known Tezaro all your life. A good friend knows your secrets and guards them as their own. You look out for one another as Lily and I do for each other."

"Yes, your ferocious loyalty has convinced Tezaro to put her above your safety." He did not mince his words.

Aurora released her legs and inched closer, "You disagree?"

Owen replied with a simple nod. "That is not to say I will not follow him."

"You trust his judgement?" She was defensive.

"If he was not born to lead, then surely he has been made for it. He had to shoulder the weight of a kingdom for a long time." The information was apparently shocking to Aurora.

"My sister did not tell you?" Owen recalled Tezaro as Protector of Armindia dealing with constant bickering among the council and incessant problems along the southern border and to the north. It was not a task he envied.

"I've placed not only my life but my sister's life in his hands countless times before. That does not mean I will not question his judgment. I can think for myself. On this occasion though, we've made a compromise. It involves you." His eyes never left her, always learning her reactions.