Chapter Thirty-One: A Role To Play

For anyone that could listen beyond the hurling whispers of the trees, the soft grumblings of mechanisms groaned in the few hours before dawn.

The door to Tezaro and Owen's cell was opened and Lucas was thrown in without a second glance. The hard shove forced Lucas to stumble and brace himself against the wall.

He felt Tezaro's sharp eyes on him. As he turned, he saw Tezaro sitting beside Owen's limp body. It was time for him to become Lucas again.

A soft moan escaped him as he slid down the wall to the floor while grimacing in mock pain. He had to make it look convincing. For effect, his clothes were dishelved and he'd had Delrynn knock the air out of him before entering.

"How are you doing, hero?" The words were drenched in sarcasm.

Lucas rested his hand carefully on his left side as he closed eyes before answering Tezaro. "At least I tried instead of standing by like a coward." He was curious to see if Tezaro would take the bait.

"You could've gotten all of us killed. You're rash and impulsive, a perfect combination for disaster. You got what you deserved." Tezaro made no attempt to hide his scorn.

Not quite the reaction he wanted, but close. His eyes pierced Tezaro from across the cell. "Someone needed to protect Aurora."

At that Tezaro stirred, nearly rising to his feet. "She is not your concern, but mine. We both know that." Tezaro leaned in to check on Owen's progress, ignoring Lucas.

Lucas rested his arm on his bent knee and leaned forward, "Pity she does not. Why is it that she knows nothing of your betrothal, again?"

Tezaro turned on him eyes ignited in fury, "It's enough that you know. Or do you need another beating?"

Lucas grunted and leaned back. "Aurora may wear your crest for now, but soon she will piece it all together. I will be watching and waiting."

Even in the dark, he was sure Tezaro knew he was smirking. "Stay away from her."

But Lucas was relentless. "I do not think I will. I've grown to like her, and besides, I'm irresistible to women." He shrugged as if that explained it all then stretched his legs before crossing them at the ankles.

Tezaro snorted at Lucas's high opinion of himself. "With your arrogance it's a wonder no one has stuck a sword in you yet."

Trying to play the part of an injured prisoner, Lucas rubbed his side absent mindedly. "I think it came pretty close to it today."

His mind revolved around all of the plans he had set in motion tonight as the Red Fox. And a few that remained that had to be carried out soon.

"A pity you cannot heal yourself." Tezaro grinned wryly.

"Yes. It's the fate of all healers to heal others and not oneself. A sick irony if you ask me." Lucas winced as he shifted his weight against the wall, still feigning pain. "Speaking of asking, I am surprised you have not asked why they did this to me."

Tezaro humored him. "Fine. I'll play your little game. Why, besides the pure joy of it, did they beat the crap out of you?"

"The Red Fox was there." He knew this would spike Tezaro's interest. Lucas was rewarded as Tezaro turned from Owen's still unconscious form.

The forest and its creatures soon joined their conversation as the sun kissed the sky in the morning. "What did the Red Fox want with you?"

"He was interested in any new trading routes and caravans. He also kept asking about the royal elvin houses. I said nothing, of course. And this," he touched his 'bruised' ribs, "is what my silence got me."

"What do you know? And what does the Fox want with the royal elvin houses? And why does he believe you would know anything about them? What are you hiding?" He had not anticipated Tezaro's suspicions growing so quickly.

Lucas let out his breath loudly. "Now you're interrogating me? Is it not enough that Owen and the Fox have done so already?" He could not help his voice pitching near the end.

"I do not trust you."

Lucas tried to blink away Tezaro's response. The man was blunt; which was precisely why he probably did not play politics. He was too honest. Whether a fault or a virtue was yet to be seen.

But Tezaro continued, "Everything about you has been nothing but half-truths. Not to mention the fact that you snatched Aurora from the inn. On top of that you are intent on pursuing her! Why should I believe anything that passes through your teeth?"

Now Lucas was insulted. "She is a separate matter between us, but I am trustworthy." His eyes narrowed. "There is nothing I take greater pride in than that. Those that know me know that and can depend on me."

"But I do not know you. You've yet to earn my trust." Tezaro walked to the gate, turning his back to Lucas. Morning was fully upon them and the grinding of the mechanism tree had gotten his attention. Their discussion was ended.

Owen began to stir. Lucas made a mad dash to his side, forgetting to feign injury. He took advantage of Tezaro's distraction and removed a small vial from his belt and poured the contents into Owen's mouth.

His eyes closed in relief after hiding the vial. He knew he'd bought himself more time. Slowly, he moved behind Tezaro to stare out. "What's going on?"

Tezaro's eyes scanned out in search of the moving bridge, observing its location. "They're lowering the bridge at Aurora and Eri's level."

"Maybe they're bringing food. I hope so. I'm starving." As intended, Tezaro easily dismissed his comment.

There was not much of the bridge that they could see from their vantage point except where it began. They kept their eyes focused to that spot. It was a short wait. An elf appeared first, followed by a prisoner and another elf.

Aurora was bound and led beyond their sight. Tezaro turned to Lucas, knuckles clenched and white, his voice steel, "He had better not harm her."

With leveled eyes Lucas answered, "I'm glad I'm not him."

~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~

A/N: Thank you all who have made it this far. Please continue to show your support by reading and voting. While you wait for the next update, check out these awesome books by friends of mine. (And best of all they are complete! :) )

@azimodo Paragon

@KathrynLauren Of Death And Dreams

@SomethingsHere The Demon Records

I guarantee you will be hooked! ;)