Chapter Thirty-Five: The Walls of Ilsurni Castle

The following days were spent in near constant riding.

Lucas performed his role of scout well, advising them on the best paths and avoiding any nearby villages as they entered Mithoran. The deeper into Mithoran they ventured more frequent dodging patrols became. A couple of times they were forced to double back to avoid a patrol.

Throughout their watches, Master Owen and Aurora continued their lessons on rune stances. She was eager to learn and paid close attention to his words and movements, mimicking them as accurately as possible.

Nearing their destination, Aurora had progressed to casting her shield at will and even several smaller shields at once. It was a progression that Master Owen was greatly pleased to see. Soon she would be ready for blending stances and more complicated magicks.

When sunset stretched long shadows, they rode into the heart of Mithoran and the forested rock spired edges of Ilsurni Castle. Aurora rode with Eri once more and used the opportunity to ask about something that bothered her.

"I don't mean to offend you, but why aren't you more involved in the planning of the rescue? After what I've seen of your fighting skill, you're incredible. I mean you could easily beat up anybody I know. So why aren't you hashing it out with them? Is it some male ego thing?"

Eri chuckled loudly as she shook her head. "Tezaro and I think very much alike. That can be great on the battlefield, but terrible in the planning. You see, you need someone with a different perspective to point out the flaws in your plan. That's Owen's job. My job is to tell him when he is being an ass." Her remark had Aurora laughing against Eri's back.

As their journey came to an end, they settled along a bluff hidden in the overgrown wilderness until night concealed their movements. It was decided that Tezaro and Lucas would scout out the grounds of the castle. Although unhappy with the pairing, Tezaro found it beneficial to have a ranger at his side.

Lucas scouted for routes of escape within the dense vegetation while Tezaro analyzed the new fortifications of the castle. They went as far as they dared, close to the walls inspecting for entry, counting guards, noting the timing of the wall and ground patrols, those entering and exiting the castle.

At the height of its glory, Ilsurni Castle was lined with multiple looming doorways, an open space for its crowding visitors. Now nearly all of the arched walls of the castle had been sealed. A few archways, those used for entrances, were left open with metal and wooden gates and a few guards.

Tezaro noted there were three possible entrance sites for them to use. Designed like the spokes of a wheel the outer part of the castle spread out like a fan with an entrance at the top center and at each edge. Rough towering walls of earth that created the bluffs from which Tezaro and Lucas spied, guarded the back of the castle.