Chapter Three: Run

Aurora sprang into a panic run. With quick thinking, she zigzagged through alleyways, using her knowledge of the area to escape her stalker. The neighborhood was mostly abandoned. Damn it! It was her fault. She knew hardly any people walked these streets. There was no help coming.

Another thought assailed her and she became even more frightened. Had her stalker seen her use her power earlier? Was her secret out? Only Lily knew and she would never reveal it. The rain began to pelt down hard as she increased her speed.

As she sloshed through black puddles, she lost speed, and her stalker crept closer with every stride. Another dark figure emerged before her out of the shadows like purple smoke.

Help, she thought. Just a few more steps. It was a woman smiling at her. "Help me! He's chasing me!" Aurora begged.

The woman laughed at her, but Aurora didn't understand. Aurora glanced back and saw the man slow down.

"So am I." The woman's musical voice could not hide her wicked intent.

Confusion clouded Aurora's vision and stopped her in her tracks for a moment.

Aurora's heart pounded against her ribs painfully. The bridge was within sight. Just a few more blocks. Labored breaths escaped with coughs as her legs began to feel sluggish. The cold from the rain sipped through her clothes hampering her progress.

She was close to the bridge, finally. Darkness had fallen unnoticed like a silent thief and the street lights flashed into life as she headed down the slope of the bridge to hide. The rain had turned the ground into a muddy slide and caused Aurora to slip and fall into the rushing creek water. With no way of stopping, she was quickly submerged.

It was a blessing in disguise.

"Where'd she go? Do you see her?" The woman's voice cut through the darkness.

"She must be nearby. Damn it! Find her. Split up." The man commanded in an abrupt tone. The rain and blanket of darkness had allowed her to escape for the moment.

Quietly, Aurora slithered out of the murky water and huddled in a corner, sheltered by the bridge from rain and foe. That was when she heard a shuffle of feet and breathing. Someone was with her. Turning, she made out the familiar figure in the darkness.

"Lily," she hissed as loud as she dared.

"Aurora? Where have you been? What's going on?" Lily replied.

A rustling noise was heard nearby. Aurora immediately cupped her hand over Lily's mouth to silence her. Lily's light green eyes widened and she grabbed at Aurora's hand trying to pry it away. Aurora glared at her and shook her head severely, hoping to impart the gravity of the situation with her eyes. She brought her index finger to her lips.

Aurora's mind continued to race. What could she do? She could use her power somehow, but she couldn't get Lily involved. Whatever it was she had gotten herself into. Lily was her only hope. Aurora looked at the mud and began cutting into it with her finger.

GET HELP

With no plan other than to draw them away from Lily, Aurora took off her backpack, and shot out from the shelter of the bridge. She cautiously stepped into the darkened alleys trying to ignore the small shivers of fear and cold that raced through her. Her wet clothes clung heavily against her body.

There was no need to hide anymore. Lily would soon get help. She only had to figure out how to activate her power and everything would be fine. 

Aurora's focus now was to draw out her hunters and lead them away from Lily. Perhaps what she was doing was not smart and it wasn't bravery that had her running out to meet the hunters. It was simply the right thing to do.