Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Fallen

"Your what? What is she?" Owen goaded him to reply.

One word came to the forefront, but Tezaro ignored it. "She's...my charge. You know I have to get her to Anthonias. For Larn's sake."

"For all our sakes." Owen's eyes narrowed before he side stepped him and walked to sit by Aurora.

As he turned to walk to Aurora, Eri snatched Tezaro's arm and pulled him back. "She does not know, does she? Admit it to me right now or I'll go and tell her." Eri would be a giant if physical height equaled intimidation.

Denial sprung to his lips, but before he answered the truth escaped. "How did you know?"

"She's wearing your crest. I saw it. Why do you not want to admit your betrothal?" The gaze Eri gave him demanded answers; none of which he was willing to supply.

Tezaro's voice was a low hiss. "Because I have to protect her. Because I know my seal will keep her safe and she'd never accept it if she knew what it meant."

Still he wondered what if Aurora had understood the meaning behind his crest giving? Would she have accepted? Either answer posed a decision he was unable to face.

"It's only a ploy." His hand raked his hair in an angry stroke.

Eri's brows furled and her face wrinkled to a frowned. "You're evading the question. She does not know, does she? Idiot." He should have been prepared for Eri's shoulder punch, instead he returned her frown.

"What if she finds out before then? She will be hurt that you lied, that you betrayed her trust. Or will you honor your word?"

"No one is going to know. Leave it alone, Eri."

"So when you reach Anthonias you will get your crest back and simply let her go? Just like that?" Typical Eri, she'd hit the mark on the first attempt.

Tezaro clenched his fists. "Of course. I told you, this is all just for her safety, that's all. I'll let her go. Why would I not?" He tried to act casual as he turned and walked away from Eri's disapproving stare. Stepping away, he chose to ignore her not so subtle murmur, "jackass."

The scene before him unfolded with Owen and Lucas flanking Aurora. Then he saw Lucas take Aurora's hand and stroke it between his own hands. Yet what froze him in place was the easy smile Aurora gifted to Lucas.

Taking the opportunity to teach, Owen continued his lesson.

"You focus too much of your shield all around you, unnecessary when you know where the attack is coming from. Place your hands before you," he demonstrated and Aurora mimicked him.

"Cast your shield as a wall. Not only will it last longer, but you'll lose strength more slowly. Of course, you will not always know where the attack will be coming from and the energy strikes will get stronger as we practice." He omitted to tell her that there were few who could cast a full shield, a fact Tezaro knew.

Yet Lucas observed all and was alert of what was said. "I've never seen any mage do that before."

Owen's face became stern. "Then you must not know very powerful ones."

"I know you." Lucas retorted gleefully.

Unwilling to comment, Owen continued his explanation, "Nothing but constant practice will help you endure the use of your magic. You must learn to balance your energy and control it. You release too much of it at once. It is probably the reason behind your blackouts. We will start controlling your energy together with simple conjuring."

Uninterested in their lesson and realizing that Aurora was too exhausted to continue riding, the others left to their mounts. Silently, the tension eased out of Tezaro as he felt Eri's eyes watch him and shift to Lucas.