Chapter Twenty-Eight: Captured

They walked for a long time herded like sheep. It was impossible to tell which direction they headed. Distinctive tugs at their arms and shoulders guided them in silence.

How Owen and Lucas were being transported through the woods was unknown to all of them.

When they halted it wasn't to rest. It was to change direction: up. It was a frightening experience having the sense of being lifted to unknown heights. Individually they were hoisted onto a small platform and had their hands placed along a thick coarse rope.

The platform swayed, putting Aurora's nerves on edge not that the elves seemed to notice with their natural balance. They were moved from one platform to another, always climbing higher and higher.

Once they were told to watch their step (to which Aurora was certain she could hear Eri comment about their lack of sight) as they were walking along a narrow branch. But always one guard remained at their side. The threat of being pushed over at any given moment did not escape their minds.

They arrived at a larger platform with delicate railings, and the muted clanking of metal wheels were heard close by. Still blinded by the bags over their heads, they were led across a bridge in pairs.

Tezaro and Owen were placed in their cell first. It was only then that their hoods were removed. Once again the clanking of metal wheels was heard and Eri and Aurora were led to their own cell, before they were able to see.

They were in a cell unlike Eri had ever been before. She turned and looked back at the wooden gate, their barrier to freedom. It was unlocked!

The eyes of the one called Jarvis followed Eri's stare from behind the gate. He smiled broadly. "The door is really more for your protection than keeping you from escaping."

Eri and Aurora turned to each other puzzled. By the time they looked out again, Jarvis was at the end of the platform and the clanking wheels began turning.

They looked out and down. Far, far down.

Beyond them they could see Jarvis and the others retreating around the massive trunk. These trees were even larger than the ones where they had been ambushed. It was easy to understand now where they were: inside one of the massive tree trunks.

Their cell was hallowed out like others that dotted the tree at different heights. The branches of their prison-tree were the size of a tall man lying down, but the sheer sized caused them to be far and separate from others. There was no branch outside their cell.

Across from them they spotted the mechanism rigged into the tree. That was why Jarvis had smiled at his clever comment. If they opened the door there was nowhere to go but down. A jump across to a neighboring tree was impossible.

The mechanism controlled a retractable bridge that blended as part of the trunk. Spiraling stairs led from one platform at one level to another. Without the bridge there was no escape.

As soon as Eri looked down she scrambled away from the door to the farthest corner of the cell. Aurora sat beside her, "I know. It's pretty high up." She stared at Eri's tight crouched form, studying her reaction. "Eri? Is something wrong?" Aurora placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Eri squeezed her eyes shut and punched at the wall. "I'm fine." The grinding of her teeth was  louder than the mechanism outside.

Aurora remained unconvinced and stared at her. Eri's gaze went to the wooden gate. "You're afraid of heights. Aren't you?"

Eri's eyes narrowed, but slowly she nodded regretfully. "Believe it or not it was more comforting wearing the hood. At least that way I could not see how high up we were."