~Chapter 2~

You finished your pie well after Frisk did. Now as you swallowed the last bite, you found Frisk resting with his head on your lap. You smiled, patting his hair gently.
"Toriel? Do you have a place we can rest?" You asked quietly.

Toriel nodded. "Follow me. I have a spare room prepared for occasions like this."

You laughed quietly, raising a brow. "How often do strange children fall down here?" You chuckled.

Her face fell slightly but she remained smiling. "It's... happened a few times before."

Sensing her discomfort, you fell silent. You followed her, carrying Frisk in your arms. She led you to the first room of the hallway, opening the door wide for you. It looked like a normal child's room, walls painted yellow and old artwork framed on the wall.

You placed Frisk on the bed closest to the door and tucked the sheets around him. You weren't surprised he was exhausted. He'd practically danced the entire way there.

You brushed the hair from his face and stepped back. Toriel smiled at you. "You really do have a caretaker's touch, don't you?" She mused.

You returned her smile, pushing your hair behind your ear. "I wouldn't say I'm professional... but I do know Frisk. That's really the most of it."

Toriel nodded. "It makes sense to me." Her eyes flickered to Frisk and she snickered. "Maybe we should talk somewhere else. We wouldn't want to wake him."

You nodded and followed her to the living room. Sitting, you faced Toriel. "So you have experience with the young?" You inquired.

Toriel nodded, smiling. "I've cared for quite the number of children in my lifetime, both human and monster."

"Really? What's the monster to human ratio?"

She took a moment, counting mentally. "One monster, seven human."

You're eyes widened. "You've cared for seven human children, like, at once?!"

The very thought of being overrun by children terrified you. Frisk was a while different situation, only one child and he was at least decently independent.

Toriel laughed, rocking in her chair. "Oh heavens no! The most I ever had was two children, both being my own."

You relaxed slightly until you realized the math didn't add up. "Wait, but didn't you only have one monster child?"

Her face fell, but not in a bad way. Her eyes seemed to reflect nastolgia as she reflected on memories. "That is true, but I adopted the first child that fell down here. Her name was Chara. She was such a beautifully talented child..."

Her voice trailed off, a phantom smile on her face. You couldn't help but look away, feeling that your gaze was intruding. A few moments later, Toriel shook her head and looked back to you.

"That reminds me, I wanted to ask you a question."

You grinned, resting into your chair. "Shoot."

"I wanted to know what you're dance preference was." She asked fondly.

Your expression of ease instantly fell with confusion. "Can I ask you a question first?" You countered, the confusion changing into unnecessary frustration. "What does dance mean to the Underground?"

Toriel cocked her head to the side, as though the answer was obvious. "You do not know? Dance is considered to be part of what makes a monster. Your dance correlates directly to you."

You raised a brow. "What if you don't dance?" You pestered.

"That hasn't happened yet. Are you telling me that the same is not true of the Surface?"