~Chapter 5~

As you made your way down the trail, you talked happily it Frisk. He was clearly excited about these 'puzzles' so you couldn't help but feel so too. His positivity was kinda contagious. Though your conscious self was quite engaged in the conversation you were having with Frisk, something nagged at the back of your mind. Well, more like several things

Something about Sans put you off. He was wonderful, no confusion there, but there was something. You were relieved he was someone you could confide in, but that also scared you. Your past was messed up beyond belief. The fact he was able to relate and comfort you meant he'd have to have been through something. Your past was clear, but what about him. 

In addition to that, the sudden intensity in your nightmares was a bad sign. As long as you could remember, you had those nightmares. With a childhood like yours, that was a given. But your mind had this way of telling you when something bad was about to happen. It was all in the intensity of your dream. So what did it mean when you killed an entire room of people? 

"IS THAT A HUMAN?!?!" 

"Nah, I think that's a rock bro." 

You looked up to see that both skeleton monsters were blocking your path. Sans met your gaze and winked. You smiled and gave a quaint nod, pulling Frisk to a stop beside you. His brother, Papyrus you remembered, looked defeated and a bit sad. 

"Wait bro! Look what's in front of the rock." 

Papyrus raised his head and peered at you and Frisk. You raised a hand and waved while Frisk offered a toothy smile. His face lit with joy and he gasped. "Sans! I see humans, two of them! Quick, we must prepare the puzzles!" He cheered. 

Swiftly he whipped around and darted in the opposite direction. Sans' eyes trailed after his brother as he smiled. Once Papyrus was far enough, you caught up to Sans. Releasing a laugh, you gazed in Papyrus' direction. "He sure is energetic, isn't he?" You said. 

Sans chuckled and turned to you. "Yeah, isn't my brother the coolest?" 

Frisk nodded. "I can't wait to see what his puzzles are like!" Frisk chimed excitedly. 

Sans smirked. "Well I know you'll do great. All you need to know is that most of them involve using dancing to get past." 

You went rigid. "We have to dance?" You asked. 

Sans gave you a look like you were crazy. "Well, yeah. Dancing is a huge part of life down here. Isn't the same way up top?" He asked. 

You dropped your eyes to your hands. "Yeah, but I don't dance. I can't dance." 

Sans chuckled. "Don't worry (Y/N). If ya need saving I'll be right there to help." 

Frisk tugged on your sleeve and gave you a look of concern, but you smiled to cover your pounding fear. "Yeah, okay. That works. Let's get going then!" 

Frisk's smiled widened. He walked ahead of you, next to Sans, while you trailed behind. Your thoughts and fears ran together in a muddled mess. Frisk and Sans seemed to be having  pretty serious conversation when you finally caught sight of Papyrus. He was standing ready at the other end of the maze with an or in his hand. Sans disappeared and reappeared at Papyrus side. 

"Humans! You've finally made. I welcome you to the first of my very cool and difficult puzzles. Behold the electric maze! Whenever you touch the maze wall, it will trigger the orb and send a shock through your body! Try if you dare." 

You and Frisk exchanged a look of confusion, then shrugged. Stepping forward you probed forward for the wall. You hand met to a cool, clear surface and a sharp cry filled the air. Retracting your hand, you whipped around to look for Frisk. The only problem was that he was unharmed. You then turned to the skeletons, almost falling over when you saw an especially charred Papyrus. Sans choked down a laugh and turned to his brother. 

"Uh Paps, wouldn't they need the orb in order to get the shock?" 

Papyrus was silent a moment, then he blushed. "Uh, YES! I was just, uh, making sure the shock was truly worthy of the humans! Yes! That's it! Stay there humans, I shall bring you the orb." 

He started to trudged his way to you, going through the maze in the process. As soon as he handed you the orb, he darted back to his spot and smiled broadly. "NOW try to get through my electric maze! NYEH HEH HEH!" 

Frisk tugged at your sleeve and pointed at the snow. Your eyes followed his pointed finger and you smiled. "Good eye Frisk." You whispered. 

You walked forward confidently, stepping in the snowy footprints Papyrus had left. It took mere seconds for you and Frisk to get out of the maze. As you took the final step, you handed the orb to Papyrus with a smug smile. He was amazed by your speed, clearly not aware he'd left footprints. "Wow humans! You're really good at these puzzles, huh? Not matter, I'll just have to try harder!" 

He turned and you followed as he led you to another puzzle. Time after time, he led to a puzzle you'd promptly solve. Sans seemed happy to see Papyrus so thrilled with this. Frisk seemed just as pleased with the activity, and you were happy there wasn't much actual dancing, differing from what you thought. As your limbs grew heavier and heavier with drowse, the false lights of the crystal seemed to dim as well. You yawned and stretched as you passed on to a rope bridge. In the distance you could see the brothers waiting. 

"Heh, I hope we can rest soon. I'm exhausted." You chuckled. 

Frisk nodded and added a yawn of his own. As you approached the other end of the bridge, you were halted by Papyrus' booming voice. "Ah humans! You'e finally come. This is the LAST PUZZLE. NYEH HEH HEH HEEEEEH!!!!" 

He leaned down and pulled a lever. The bridge shook and you clung to the rope, you free hand clinging to Frisk so he wouldn't fall. All around you things descended, looking more deadly than the grim reaper himself. You could almost swear you could hear his evil crackles in the distance. Or maybe it was just a snore... no matter. Spiked balls, flaming plumes of gas... a dog? He probably bites. 

"What the hell?!" You gasped. "This'll kill us!!" 

Papyrus shook his head. "You are wrong human! It's only near impossible to pass. This is the mother of puzzles. It could even stump I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS!"

'Isn't this a bit overkill though?!'

Sans said something but he was too far to hear. You instead kept your gaze on Papyrus. You took a deep breath and started to examine the tools of destruction around you. n your head you estimated how the weapons would swing and affects the bridge. Slowly you formulated a counteraction, then nodded. "Okay Paps, I think we can-" 

He pulled the lever and the weapons went back to where they had been before. Your posture straightened and you gave Papyrus a look of confusion. His skull erupted in red and he turned away. "I just realized this puzzle isn't.... Worthy! It's not worthy of such a master puzzle solver like you two and I. Fear not, I will create a puzzle worthy of your combined skills!" 

He walked away briskly and you got off the bridge, aiming your confusion at Sans. He shrugged and grinned. "That's my brother for ya. Spontaneous as ever. Don't worry kid, I still got your back." 

You raised a brow. "Really? What if Papyrus had actually activated the puzzle?" 

"He hasn't be- I mean, I would've been there. I've got these little quirks that make rescue easy. Trust me." He smirked. 

You rolled your eyes and trudged forward through the thick snow. "Come on Hot Pants. I don't care where we're going as long as it has a bed.. or a soft couch or at least a carpet and warm airflow. I just want a nap right now..."