~Chapter 15~

You weren't asleep, but you were shaking like it was a nightmare. It felt as though strings were tied at your wrist and throat, prepared to whisk you around on a whims notice. You weren't your own person, not with her around. All you could see was that old, pristine dancefloor. You'd once spilled your own blood over. You'd spilt the blood of others on it. Now it craved for another victim. Another innocent soul to ensnare. Maybe it was time to give in and let it all end with you. Maybe you wanted to die. Then she'd be gone.

Mother always said to be productive. Two birds with one stone. "M-Maybe..." You shuttered. "Only one more life and two will be over. I have to kill her. I need to protect Frisk but I... I can't... I can't see. I don't want to see it anymore. I won't dance anymore! Take it away! Take me away! Someone help me! Please! Someone hel-"

You could feel him close to you again, and your own chaotic thoughts subsided. You were comforted by his familiar touch and gentle embrace. "Hey... don't worry kid I'm right here. I'm here for you (Y/N)." Sans cooed.

"I want to die." You said abruptly. "The Underground only needs one more soul to go free right?! Why not mine?!"

You sounded insane, startling Sans as he looked at you. "What are you talking about? How did you know about the souls?" He asked.

"Sans you know it already. There's a demon in my head, and I clearly can't control her." You said.

"What happened?"

"I almost killed Undyne." You shuddered. "Right in front of Frisk... and Alphys... they saw me danc- I m-mean performing, and they were terrified. I was the only monster in that room, and we all knew it. I can't hold on to her."

"That doesn't mean you have to die!" Sans argued.

"What do you suggest I do Sans?! If I die, my soul goes to something better and I take another evil to hell with me!" You retorted, your fingers knotted tightly into his sweatshirt.

"People need you alive (Y/N)." He said, surprisingly gentle. "You're Frisk's best friend and protector."

"That's what I'm doing. I want to protect him..., but I can't, especially when Chara is using these internal... triggers. I feel like a puppet tied up in her plot. Chara can't be trusted at any cost! She's my mother, but more deadly, and twice as dangerous when she can use me at her disposal." Your voice was wavering between grief and anger, and had been increasing in volume. It started at about a whisper, but became a crescendo by the end.

You let your hands loosen and your arms fell away, lying limp at your sides. Your forehead rested on Sans chest, the thick, soft fabric of his sweatshirt protecting from a hard sternum. Your sobs had become quiet, but tears still trailed down your cheeks.

"You can't go on like this, with this Chara person in your head." Sans echoed, gently rubbing your back in small circles.

"I know," You laughed weakly. "Were you even listening to-"

"But I'm not going to let you die either way." He finished.

You sighed, shaking your head slowly. "You don't understand Sans. I'm too weak to keep fighting her. What else can I do?"

"You get stronger." He said frankly, taking you by surprise.

You pushed away from him and tried to decipher his meaning from his expression, but couldn't read past his grin. "Sans, I just told you I can't."

"There's still one thing you haven't tried. The thing you keep trying to avoid at all cost." He probed, as though trying to coax the answer from you.

You sat still confused until it clicked, like a flashlight flickering to light up a pitch black abyss. Clarity in a moment, then panic. "Sans I can't. How would dancing, submitting to this demon in me, help me avoid dancing?!" You barked. "That's what she wants!"