Chapter 7

At the top of the ladder was a trap door. Akira watched as Gina flung it open and disappeared through the opening. Shielding her eyes from the sudden bright light that filtered through it, Akira followed. When she was almost at the top of the ladder she found Gina's hand waiting to pull her the rest of the way. Gratefully Akira took a firm hold of it. Seconds later she was standing on the stone surface of a large flat area that could only be the roof.

"So, what do you think?" Gina asked as she kicked the trap door closed again. It blended in with the rest of the stone, leaving no sign of ever having been there. Akira didn't reply as she looked around her, blinking rapidly to try and get her eyes adjusted to the light.

When her vision came back into focus, she was able to see that the roof was huge. In fact, it was so big that twenty dragons could easily stand on its surface and still have room to spare. However, other than its size, there was nothing impressive about it. It was simply a flat stone surface with no wall at the edge to stop anyone from falling off.

Akira walked over to the edge. Upon reaching it she leaned over ever so slightly to take a look at the view below. What she saw made her gasp.

Below green stretched out as far as her eyes could see. Blue rivers occasionally cut through, adding a bit of variety to the color. Darker green patches showed her where woods were in comparison to lush, lighter green grass fields. She was so far up that there were even a few clouds below her, blocking parts of her view. Had there not been mountains in the distance, and had there been no clouds at all, Akira was sure she would be able to see even further.

"The Academy is on a cliff. Add that to its current height, and it's the highest building in the Lands," Gina said as she, too, gazed at the view below. There was a proud note in her voice.

"Do you ever get used to it?" Akira asked in awe.

"Never." Gina smiled. "You should see the sun rise and set from here. Trust me, you've never see anything like it," she added enthusiastically.

"I'd love to," Akira murmured, still enthralled by what she saw below. It feels like I can see the entire Lands!

Actually, not even close to half of them, Redemption's voice chuckled in her head. A gust of wind followed.

Akira and Gina turned at the same time. They were just in time to witness Redemption landing gracefully, first putting down his back paws and then his front.

I guess since humans can't fly at whim, humans decided to try get closer to the sky in their own way. He looked up at the sky as he thought it. It's a waste of rock if you ask me.

"Scales," Gina breathed as she openly admired the dragon before her.

Noticing her gaze, Redemption arched his neck so that his scales glistened in the sun. Akira's eyebrows rose at his obvious attempt to show off.

I must say, I like what you're wearing, her dragon told her as he eyed her new outfit. Especially the color.

Akira rolled her eyes. You say that about anything even remotely white.

"Ah, I see everyone's here." Akira turned to see that Hannah had appeared through the trap door. She was carrying something that was covered with a blanket. Seeing Gina, a look of surprise crossed her face. "Oh, hello Gina, I didn't expect you. Where's Seth?" she walked over as she spoke, casting an admiring glance at Redemption.

"I thought he shouldn't get to miss all his classes; it wouldn't be fair." Gina grinned in reply.

"Ah, how thoughtful." Hannah smiled. "Well, now that you're here you can help." She thrust the thing under the blanket into Gina's hands.