Chapter 10

Redemption turned to go. Akira paused.

"Well then," Brandon began to get up.

"I'll escort her," Kramer spoke. He got up and shot a look at Brandon, as though to ask if it was okay.

With a nod, Brandon sat back down. Silas looked like he was about to say something, yet a look from Henry made him stay silent. Walking past Akira, Kramer approached the wall in front of which Redemption had come to stand.

Akira looked towards Brandon. "Go ahead," he told her with a kind smile. "I've got a few things I still need to discuss. I'll join you later at the Academy."

Eager to leave the council's presence, Akira turned and hurried after Redemption and Kramer. They had begun to walk through the opening created by the wall sliding to the side when Kramer pushed a knob.

Where are we going? Akira thought.

Wait and see.

Scowling, Akira followed Redemption back in the direction they had come from. She hurried forward so that she was right behind Kramer. The council member didn't say a word as he led the way, opening the walls when a dead end came. It didn't take long for them to reach the area where they had left Destiny.

The blue dragon's scales glowed ever so slightly in the dark. She looked fast asleep, curled up on the cold stone floor. However, as Akira, Redemption, and Kramer approached, she opened her eyes and raised her head.

Her eyes flickered over the group before she shot Akira a questioning look. Where is the old man?

He'll come later, Akira informed her.

Ah. For a moment, Destiny stared at Kramer. Then, seeming to decided that he posed no threat, she lay her head back down, tucking it underneath a wing. I'll wait here then.

Redemption turned to Akira expectantly. She knew her dragon was waiting for her to get on, and yet Akira took a moment to turn to Kramer.

"Thank you," she told him softly.

Kramer nodded in response. When Akira turned away she felt his hand clamp on her shoulder. She froze.

"The dragon chose you. That in itself says a lot," Kramer told her. "However, I believe that you still need to come to realize this for yourself." His hand disappeared.

Akira didn't reply. She wasn't sure how to respond. Instead, she walked to her dragon and mounted him. Redemption didn't move right away, instead, he turned to look at Kramer.

"I do not question your choice, dragon," the older man spoke. "I only question your approach."

Redemption simply stared at Kramer while Akira fiddled with her gloved hands.

"Then, until we meet again. Here, or in the afterlife." Kramer stepped aback.

The white dragon nodded in response. Hold on, he warned Akira as he spread his wings. He leaped into the air, soaring straight back the way they had come.

This time, Akira didn't bother shutting her eyes. Her mind whirled with all the information she had received just moments ago. She was barely aware of the wind slapping against her face as she got lost in her thoughts.

As a small light appeared ahead she blinked. Redemption, where are you taking me?

You'll see, was the reply.

Ahead of them, the light grew brighter and brighter. Then, dragon and girl burst out of the darkness and back into the open. Redemption soared up. He flew with determination, his neck stretched forward and his eyes glued ahead.